Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RDR Gear vs Centrifuge TQ mounting question

Absolutely nothing wrong with carrying TQs all over you, I do as well.

With that said, @AMC makes a good note. TQs with plastic windlasses and plastic retaining clips should NOT be carried exposed unless they're being regularly replaced. The original rec's from NAR were based off field use in Iraq and Afghanistan; granted, a cop in the US probably isn't exposing his TQ to as much UV as an infantryman doing patrols everyday in the blazing sun given a large part of the day is spent going inside buildings, in the vehicle, etc. So, in the aim of being a voice of reason instead of being a stick in the mud, Im guessing you could probably push past the NAR recommendation (90 or 120 days, cant remember which).

However, it's not a risk worth taking considering the extreme nature of when you actually need to use that TQ. If using CATs, either replace it regularly or cover that shit up so it doesn't snap on you from UV degradation.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

". . . failure of the G Code mount . . ."

Can someone please provide info on this, as somehow I missed this one?

Also, for the OP, I've been using this, for almost three years: https://centrifugetraining.com/produ...uipment-mount/

I'm very happy with that, as I don't like the cant of the Safariland holsters, and needed to.free.up space on my tac gear. Win-win, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    ". . . failure of the G Code mount . . ."

Can someone please provide info on this, as somehow I missed this one?

Also, for the OP, I've been using this, for almost three years: https://centrifugetraining.com/produ...uipment-mount/

I'm very happy with that, as I don't like the cant of the Safariland holsters, and needed to.free.up space on my tac gear. Win-win, for me.
    It was (if I remember correctly) early 2019 or 2020 in San Diego (San Diego PD). Two officers get in a foot pursuit and when they catch the guy a struggle ensues. The suspect ripped the whole ALS holster off the belt with the officer yelling that he’s “going for my gun” or something to that effect. Partner shoots suspect in the head and susp does the chicken dance for a couple minutes and dies. It’s on bodycam.

Thing is, talking to some SDPD guys, they didn’t have a holster policy that went beyond “approved by the range master” (not sure of the exact terms) and his Safariland holster on G-Code adaptor was approved. Cop is supposedly not in trouble and as of a few years ago the dept was being sued for a bunch of millions.

The problem with adaptor plates and holster modifications is not that the manufacturer won’t warranty it… it’s that the manufacturer is telling you in the “voids the warrantee” language they don’t think you should do that. In an event as described in this post, and assuming there is any violation of policy, the cop is screwed. I’ve seen holsters get blamed for stuff A LOT and in the event of a death, people are gonna get sued. If the holster was involved and it was modified someone’s gonna pay. If it’s in policy then it’s on the department. If it’s out of policy I would expect a firing, a losing lawsuit, and potential criminal charges… last I heard another SoCal department (not my old one) was still waiting to see if a Dep was gonna be charged for an incident with his modified holster.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    What @SoCalDep said.

Another option is the Defense Mechanisms holster TQ sleeve, which is a similar concept, but a little less bulky than sticking a hard-sided carrier on a metal bracket hanging off one's holster. Combine it with their TQ cover to protect against UV exposure. No personal experience with that particular bit of kit, but I have a DM belt and several of their pouches and find their products to be well constructed and innovative.

I do have a pair of range belt setups with Eleven10 TQ holders on Centrifuge HAMs. They don't see a lot of use, so I can't speak to their longevity. Those rigs are very popular with departments like Miami-Dade and City of Miami here in South Florida which seem to have fairly liberal policies on duty gear.

For me, at work (security, not LE) I keep a CAT in a soft-sided Eleven10 pouch at 4:00, just behind my pistol. It's protected from UV exposure, much more comfortable than the brick of a hard-sided carrier (especially with a OneWrap attachment rather than a bulky Tek-Lok), and lets me fly under the radar with certain supervisors who like to pick fights over non-issued gear.

User Tag List