Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimun acceptable barrel cylinder gap?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’d be tickled to get a revolver with a .002” gap! You can always remove material, but can’t add it. I carry a .006” feeler gauge in my wallet, and won’t buy a revolver that has a larger cylinder gap. I know two Team Ruger shooters, and they want a much larger gap for revolver competition.
    Yep same here. I carry a feeler gauge when out looking at revolvers. Also I have two Freedom Arms with a .002 gap and have never any dragging .

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’d be tickled to get a revolver with a .002” gap! You can always remove material, but can’t add it. I carry a .006” feeler gauge in my wallet, and won’t buy a revolver that has a larger cylinder gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    My concern is that it will be returned to me with a .010 to .012 gap.
    .010 to .012" sounds about like every friggin' new revolver I have ever special ordered at a LGS. After a while, it really soured me on wheelguns and partially contributed to my Great Revolver Purge. I do not recall ever owning any revolver that had a .002" or less B/C gap from the factory; I like to think that I would be ecstatic with such a wheelgun on the assumption that it would eventually open up just a bit and hit (nominal) "perfection" in reasonably short order.

As it is, I now overlook my SP101 "Rattler's" dismayingly large - perhaps I should try to convince myself to call it "drag-proof" - gap, and endure my GP-100's slightly larger than optimal gap. Should I make good on my long-simmering threat to add a totally superfluous .38/.357 Blackhawk convertible to my future estate sale, I will be wielding a feeler gauge with extreme prejudice.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List