Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fun 40S&W Pistol

I vote Glock or M&P.

I own a ratty old Gen 3 Glock 23, that I love shooting. One day I will pick up a Gen 5.
    **OK**

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Or…… one could just use common sense and spend all that money buying more cases of whatever your true carry guns are. Then one could practice using their emergency rescue equipment. Otherwise buy a twin to what you carry in 40. So you can at least practice with something similar. Trigger manual of arms etc.
    I took the more fun than practical approach on this one, hence the thread title.
    But practically speaking, I was leaning towards the PX4 and M&P 2.0. I carry and enjoy shooting both in 9mm.
    It is always interesting to hear what others think though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    You can tell this isn’t ARFCOM because no one has recommended a 10mm yet.

Still if it is only a fun gun there is something to be said for a 10mm, revolver or auto, to shoot 40.

When ammo availability/price went wonky a few years ago, I bought a Glock 20 in 10mm. This was to have another caliber in the stable so to speak. I haven't looked into it, but a conversion barrel for .40 caliber will give you the one pistol, two caliber platform. Also, a conversion revolver (2 cylinders) which can shoot both .357 and 9mm or one that can shoot a 45acp and 45 LC will give you ammo flexibility as well. Good luck on making a decision and let us know what you decide in your .40 caliber firearm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    When ammo availability/price went wonky a few years ago, I bought a Glock 20 in 10mm. This was to have another caliber in the stable so to speak. I haven't looked into it, but a conversion barrel for .40 caliber will give you the one pistol, two caliber platform. Also, a conversion revolver (2 cylinders) which can shoot both .357 and 9mm or one that can shoot a 45acp and 45 LC will give you ammo flexibility as well. Good luck on making a decision and let us know what you decide in your .40 caliber firearm.
    I’m showing my ignorance here and I realize a second barrel would be the best practice but I thought you could safely fire 40 out of the 10mm barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    If you are interested in a large frame Glock, I would suggest that you buy a Glock 21.

That way you can shoot .45 ACP, 10mm, and .40, just by doing barrel and mag swaps. The G21 will accept a 10mm drop in conversion barrel, but the G20 10mm will not accept a G21 barrel, so it makes the most sense to go with the best of the large frame guns. Which happens to also be the most accurate of the large frame guns by a good margin (in my experience and observation). Actually the G21 may be the most accurate Glock out there. I don't know that for a fact, but based on shooting one since the early 90s, I can tell you that they shoot little tiny groups when fed quality ammo.

Back to the .40s, I shoot a Gen 3 G22 with a load I took a bunch of time developing and carry a lot during the warm weather months, especially when hiking with the kids. Its a 170 grain poly coated SWC. Quite fast out of a G22 at 1200 FPS. I never cared for the .40 due to what I always considered terrible accuracy compared to .45 and 9mms. So I worked for a considerable amount of time on that and the end result was one that I have been extremely happy with in terms of accuracy, speed and reliability.

Works perfect for a "Trail and Town" gun when traveling and hiking.

The Glock G22 Gen 5 is suprisingly soft shooting (I have not fired the G23 Gen 5) for a 40 S&W pistol and would be my recommendation. Much less perceived recoil than previous Gen Glocks, or any other .40 I can recall firing (SIG P239, P226 & P229, HK P30 & USPC, Beretta 96, Walther P99, and S&W M&P & 3rd Gen TDA guns).

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    I took the more fun than practical approach on this one, hence the thread title.
    But practically speaking, I was leaning towards the PX4 and M&P 2.0. I carry and enjoy shooting both in 9mm.
    It is always interesting to hear what others think though.

To me a 1911 is a great range toy. But an Apexed 2.0 dotted would be a "fun" 40

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    Sig SP2022!!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    I picked up a .40 top end and magazine for mine, just for this kind of backup.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I picked up a .40 top end and magazine for mine, just for this kind of backup.
    If that gun was a little more ambi friendly, I would own one.

User Tag List