Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun 40S&W Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    On the other end of the race gun vs. reliability spectrum, I would go with an HK USP40 or USP40c.
    My STI has technically been more reliable than my USPc. Admittedly, the USPc doesn’t like the light stuff, which isn’t necessarily a flaw, but the STI eats everything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    I have a Sig 1911 in 40S&W that is just a joy to shoot and scary accurate. The only 40S&W that I have left and I don't think I'm ever getting rid of it.
    The only .40 I’ve ever shot and enjoyed every minute was an STI 1911. Others have had their moments, some more and some less, but that STI… I think bad thoughts about its owner every time I think about that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    To me, HK’s are one of those guns you shoot because you know they will work. But except for my P7 (another regretful sale) I would never call any of them “fun”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My USP Experts beg to disagree. My 9mm Expert has a superb single action trigger and it's very accurate. One of my favorites to shoot. The first time I won the local bowling pin match, I was shooting that pistol with surplus Federal XM9001 115 gr JHPs.

I bought a USP40 for the same reasons as you listed. Myself and a friend went searching for a soft recoiling .40 and tried several platforms. The USP was the winner. The PX4 was a top contender to the USP.
    Used USP40 pistols can be usually be found fairly cheap. Add a Match Trigger kit and it'll be more fun.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 03-27-2024 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    You didn’t say affordable, so how about a 2011? Since the .40 fell out of favor with LE agencies, USPSA Limited Division is where .40 actually has a place.

On the other end of the race gun vs. reliability spectrum, I would go with an HK USP40 or USP40c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    I have a Sig 1911 in 40S&W that is just a joy to shoot and scary accurate. The only 40S&W that I have left and I don't think I'm ever getting rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The only .40 I’ve ever shot and enjoyed every minute was an STI 1911. Others have had their moments, some more and some less, but that STI… I think bad thoughts about its owner every time I think about that gun.
    Yep.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

HK USP 40 full size , the original overbuilt 40. LEM is my preference.

I don't know, I think the USP40c qualifies as being a fun gun? I'd see if you can find one from a friend or range so that you can give it a try.

The only 40 I ever ran across that was not fun to shoot was a CZ P06, bought one of the first runs when they were released. CZ really dropped the ball with them, marketed as a compact carry gun same as the P01 but they didn’t offer flush fitting mags. Really defeats the purpose of a compact carry gun when you have an extra inch hanging out the grip, especially when it doesn't increase capacity. Also found it uncomfortable to carry IWB and it suffered from misfeeds. I think the misfeeds were caused by shoddy magazines, CZ rushed them to marked without developing quality mags for them. Sold it quickly and never again looked at a CZ 40.

I have all manner of Glock 40s find them all extremely fun to shoot and train with.

The one gun I think I would like to try in 40 is the SA EMP, but only the 4”. Not sure if they made the 4” in 40 and not interested in the 3”.

Sig SP2022!!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Or…… one could just use common sense and spend all that money buying more cases of whatever your true carry guns are. Then one could practice using their emergency rescue equipment. Otherwise buy a twin to what you carry in 40. So you can at least practice with something similar. Trigger manual of arms etc.

I would strong recommend the M&P 40 (original or 2.0 with a strong preference for the 5" variety if you can find one) or the H&K USP (fullsize or Compact...skip the P2000 in 40) with a LEM trigger.

User Tag List