Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Germany to Ban Dachshunds?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I bet it will be a tall order for the Reichstag to pass that one.

I’m kind of biased, to be honest.

Attachment 116669

She can nip when over-excited ( we didn’t get her until she was 9.5 years old), and we are training her out of it.
    He does not bite humans.
    We have a wire hair too. He’s at least 15 but pretty spry. We also have a rescued Smooth Red that’s 18-20 we think. She gets around okay. We had a pack of the little rascals. Thankfully none were assholes. They bark at pretty much everything and sometimes house training is a suggestion. I’ve enjoyed the ones we had. My youngest daughter wanted a Dixie and we got a Smooth Red. She named him Oliver. Ollie was a good boy.

I was bitten on the face by a Dachshund when I was five and my Grandma had a Black and Tan that was an asshole. If someone had told me I’d have a pack of them back then I’d have laughed.

But I guess you’ve got to have some assholeness in a breed originally bred to go into holes after badgers.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Hmmmm, Germans eliminating those with undesirable traits? That always ends well.

Still, we had a dachshund when I was growing up.......... kill them all.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

Just thought about this. Is there a difference in temperament between the long hair and short hair varieties? Mom's was a short hair.
    I suspect that there might be based solely on my own experience. The only Dachshunds I’ve met that have been friendly have been long hair varietals. There’s one of those that hangs at the local coffeeshop, and is friendly to everyone. All 3 of my folks’ dogs have been the classic short hair black/tan type.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Dachshunds are typically total assholes.

If they were people, they'd still be short, but would drive lifted, coal roller trucks to try and make up for it.
    My sister is on her third mini dachshund (2 longhair, one short), and every single one has been a sweetheart. So much so that I contemplate getting one for my next dog, whenever that may be.

Or a Vizsla. Or a schnauzer. I’m kind of dog agnostic, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My sister is on her third mini dachshund (2 longhair, one short), and every single one has been a sweetheart. So much so that I contemplate getting one for my next dog, whenever that may be.

Or a Vizsla. Or a schnauzer. I’m kind of dog agnostic, really.
    Sounds like your sister is the sweetheart.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The last dog my Mom had was a Dachshund. I was out of state the first couple of years she had him so when we moved back we had to be "introduced". Every time I was over there that little mf'er would bark at me when I came through the door, run and hide behind Mom then proceed to bark at me some more while peeing on the floor.

Just thought about this. Is there a difference in temperament between the long hair and short hair varieties? Mom's was a short hair.
    I would bet at least a bit of your mom’s dog acting like that was learned behavior.

Still , standard Dachshunds (20-35 lbs) of any hair type seem to be calmer than tweens (15-20 lbs) , and those are calmer than the miniatures (15 lbs and under)

The wire haired variety seem to be the clowns, the long hairs act mostly like spaniels, and the short hairs seem most aggrieved and cranky. I’ve only had wire haired standards.
    The thing to remember is that they are all rowdy hunting dogs, and need jobs to be happy.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Sounds like your sister is the sweetheart.

Well. *That* sister, sure. Yes, she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Well. *That* sister, sure. Yes, she is.
    Did you ever give the other one a short hair Dachshund as an experiment control?

Site Supporter
    Did you ever give the other one a short hair Dachshund as an experiment control?

That’s never occurred to me. The other two have Shih Tzus. One also has recently acquired a Mini Schnauzer, but that’s probably my fault (my first dog was a Jack Russel; my second, and third dogs were Schnauzers that *everyone* loved).

My parents had a miniature Schnauzer. The only people he bit were two future brothers in law. Smart dog.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List