Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Germany to Ban Dachshunds?

Only been around one, it belonged to my buddy and he was a sweetheart. I think I enjoyed visiting my buddies Dash as much as him.

Now the dogs I hate are friggen Chihuahuas, talk about little dog attitudes.

When I was a little kid one of our family friends had a Chihuahua that always nipped at my ankles, hated going to their house. Their daughter had a baby and back in those days the baby bottles were glass. One day while she was standing up and feeding the baby with a full bottle of formula. The dog like always, right at her feet annoying little **** that it was. The bottle slipped hit that mute square in the head and killed it.

We weren’t there when it happened, but when they told us the story my Dad shot me a don’t you dare celebrate look. He knew I hated that dog. Ha ha

My family has always had Dachshunds. Growing up we had two and they had reasonably long lives with no back or hip issues. My ex & bought our daughter a little female and for some reason it decided I was its life mate. I'd come over to visit and it would get up on the back of the couch and snuggle, draped around the back of my neck and go to sleep. The ex was amazingly jealous of that!

I've got to believe the back and hip problems we see nowadays stem from poor breeding practices & puppy mills.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Dachshunds are typically total assholes.

If they were people, they'd still be short, but would drive lifted, coal roller trucks to try and make up for it.
    Yup. Not a fan.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    A neighbor down the street had a couple of long haired dachshunds, with a short fenced front yard. Those two buggers would snarl and yammer right at the fence every time I walked my German Shorthair on the sidewalk. My GSP would just lift his feet up a little higher and look away, but I'm pretty sure they would have bit him if they had the chance.

The owner would yell, beg and plead for them to STFU, but it had zero effect.

Normally, I'd write it off to to them being territorial of their yard. But occasionally, as part of a "walk," my neighbor would be dragged by the two of them by my house (which also has a fenced front yard) and they would yammer, snarl and bark at the world as they motored by and pulled him along. Truly assholes.

But, that sounds like a B.S. proposal by the German anti-dog breeding folks. Sounds like the dogs live pretty happy lives--the badgers must be behind it all.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    My family has always had Dachshunds. Growing up we had two and they had reasonably long lives with no back or hip issues. My ex & bought our daughter a little female and for some reason it decided I was its life mate. I'd come over to visit and it would get up on the back of the couch and snuggle, draped around the back of my neck and go to sleep. The ex was amazingly jealous of that!

I've got to believe the back and hip problems we see nowadays stem from poor breeding practices & puppy mills.
    Intra-Vertebral Disc Disease is a thing with several breeds besides Dachshunds. Apparently Beagles are susceptible too, though it tends to be in their necks. Hips are another thing entirely- many many dog breeds get dysplasia.
    I wonder if the proposed German law will affect any of the giant breeds? Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, leonbergers, St Bernards, Great Danes, etc- they all are subject to aortic stenosis and sometimes fatal intestinal bloat. Even German Shepards get bloat.

The cuddly dachs is not unknown here; grandboy is asleep on the couch with a 35 lb red love bug curled up on his legs as I write this. No one - not me, not herself- gets between that dog and the kids he “protects”.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

There is some serious irony in the German government dictating what traits can and can’t continue to propagate.

I like dachshunds. Had a mini and she was a cuddle bunny till she got a brain tumor and had to be put down.

What’s next for the Germans?? No breeds that have intestinal bloat or prone to stomach turns…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  1baf60cd303bdc73f070635521ad88d5--dachshund-humor-wiener-dogs.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  24.3 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I would bet at least a bit of your mom’s dog acting like that was learned behavior.

Still , standard Dachshunds (20-35 lbs) of any hair type seem to be calmer than tweens (15-20 lbs) , and those are calmer than the miniatures (15 lbs and under)

The wire haired variety seem to be the clowns, the long hairs act mostly like spaniels, and the short hairs seem most aggrieved and cranky. I’ve only had wire haired standards.
    The thing to remember is that they are all rowdy hunting dogs, and need jobs to be happy.

The thing to remember is that they are all rowdy hunting dogs, and need jobs to be happy.

Bingo.

https://youtu.be/wN0-vN1P66M
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    There is some serious irony in the German government dictating what traits can and can’t continue to propagate.

I like dachshunds. Had a mini and she was a cuddle bunny till she got a brain tumor and had to be put down.

What’s next for the Germans?? No breeds that have intestinal bloat or prone to stomach turns…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only breeds with whte hair and blue eyes.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    A family member had a long haired.... It was his best friend for well over a decade.
    Seriously cool pooch. We met him not long after they brought him home as a puppy. Little dude would run around bonkers until he ran out of juice. We'd feed him sucrose through a dropper and he'd start zooming again a few minutes later. My kids loved that dog too. He'd bark at you when you first came in after a long absence, then be laying in your lap belly up as soon as you sat down. If you could guarantee me one nearly as cool, I'd adopt one in a sofortig.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List