Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Free Armory Apollo 11. The Eagle Has Landed!

Aaron Cowan has one of these. He's working on a 2K review now.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

RMA and shipping label received. Off the gun goes to see about safety fixed.

Cowan just released his initial impression review for his Patreon subscribers. The LFA is working fine for him so far. He does not that the grip has a sort of spongy texture. He's having some issues with certain mags not falling free. He says the recoil spring is seven pounds. I was guessing nine pounds.

I just got an email from UPS telling me a shipping label has been created so it looks like the Apollo will be on the way back. If it actually gets shipped today I'll hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I just got an email from UPS telling me a shipping label has been created so it looks like the Apollo will be on the way back. If it actually gets shipped today I'll hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Well, it shipped. It should have been delivered yesterday but UPS apparently loaded it on a truck going the wrong direction....

Tracking now says expected delivery of Tuesday.

I have the gun back. The safety issue has been fixed. Now I can see how well it might work.

Per my request, LFA replaced the 5".top end with a 4.15" one. The gun feels way better balanced now.

My two budget 1911 hicap guns.

The Apollo is a little tighter overall than the MAC. The trigger is lighter on the Apollo at just under four pounds but it feels a little spongy. The MAC is crisp and comes in at right about five pounds.

Personally I like the styling of the MAC better but there's something to be said about supporting an American manufacturer. If LFA ditched the slide ports and went with a more traditional set of cocking serrations I'd like the gun much more. And they need to ditch the funky 3D printed grip module. It just has a super cheap feel to it.

Another thing I note is that the LFA won't fit (actually it will but I have to cram it in there) my US Duty Gear rotating hood holster. The MAC fits this holster nicely. Another reason not to be excited about the Apollo slide profile.

The gun runs. I shot a half a dozen Gold Dots, some old Remington 115 grain JHPs and then a handful of 135 grain hand loads. All told I put 50 rounds through it. One thing funky was my one Atlas mag with the +1 lock back follower locked the slide open with one round left in the mag. Loading it up a couple more times it didn't seem to be an issue. I'll check this again next time I'm out and have more ammo.

Also--I prefer the LFA irons over the MAC irons. The rear sight is completely serrated which works well. On the MAC the rear sight is serrated but then the rear sight notch is sort of inset with no serrations. I find this change in texture somewhat distracting when trying to shoot groups.

@seand1111

Any updates for us? Any additional mods? How's the gun working for you?

If I keep mine I'll probably see about sending it to some place like CHPWS to have the RMSc cut replaced with a plate system to give a few more optic options.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @seand1111

Any updates for us? Any additional mods? How's the gun working for you?

If I keep mine I'll probably see about sending it to some place like CHPWS to have the RMSc cut replaced with a plate system to give a few more optic options.

Actually yes. I just reassembled it yesterday morning and ran about 300rds through it to make sure all was well.

Obviously I fit a Prodigy grip to it. I had a Red Dirt trigger in it, but decided to steal the trigger from my Staccato grip module. Installed a new grip safety (the stock one had a LOT of lateral play in it with the Prodigy Grip installed) and blended it to the frame. Re-cerakoted the frame and small parts mignight blue.

I still have some more stuff to do. Since I installed the magwell, there is a very slight lip inside. I need to blend that in. I also need to tune the trigger a bit more, it is breaking right at 4.6lbs per my digital Lyman scale. I would like to get it to between 3.5 and 4lbs like my Prodigy and other 1911's.

Here is a quick dirty (literally on my dirty workbench) picture as it stands now.

User Tag List