Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart and Hostess inspired economic discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    The problem with this generation of college graduates is that the parents don't seem to realize just how dumb large college loans are, or they've been too conditioned to "not crush their children's dreams." I don't blame an 18-year-old for being stupidly optimistic about their ability to get a big job and pay off a loan, but their parents should know better.
    My loan payments each month exceed what a zero interest loan payment on a 911 would be...

I cry for a week each time.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    The problem with this generation of college graduates is that the parents don't seem to realize just how dumb large college loans are, or they've been too conditioned to "not crush their children's dreams." I don't blame an 18-year-old for being stupidly optimistic about their ability to get a big job and pay off a loan, but their parents should know better.
    Enlisting in the Armed Forces at age 18/19 is also an option. The Post 9/11 G.I Bill is a worthwhile benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Enlisting in the Armed Forces at age 18/19 is also an option. The Post 9/11 G.I Bill is a worthwhile benefit.
    Not sure how much it really covers though, a fellow student who did one tour in Iraq and went to the reserves was still not covering enough and had a fair amount of loans. Less than me but still hefty.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter

Also a lot of doctors and lawyers go the military route to pay for school. I'm not sure of what is involved but I've heard its a pretty good deal.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I will have my student loan paid off in May. Looking foward to that day.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Not sure how much it really covers though, a fellow student who did one tour in Iraq and went to the reserves was still not covering enough and had a fair amount of loans. Less than me but still hefty.
    Keep in mind that the GI Bill for reserves will accrue/pay differently than the GI Bill for active duty.

If he was active duty and it didn't cover his full amount, then he most likely chose to go to a school/program that exceeded the amount the GI Bill will pay out....$17,000/year I think, don't quote me though. I never paid too much attention to the max payout because my program is well below that amount...my entire degree is less than that.

Many schools know this and simply waive the excess tuition for veterans attending under the GI Bill.......these schools are referred to as Yellow Ribbon schools.

In addition to getting your school paid for, the Post-9/11 GI Bill (compared to the older Montgomery) also pays monthly Basic Allowance for Housing at the rate of E5 with dependents. So, if I was attending full time face to face school in Pittsburgh, I'd be getting $1,545 every month just to pocket for myself. For online degrees, the amount is half the national average...so about $677 or so per month. We also get book stipends.....for me it's been working out to $41 per credit.

Oh, and in some states going to school as prior military will also allow you to claim benefits from public work force development funds.

In addition (again), while on active duty you can get tuition assistance....most guys are using this for online programs, obviously. If you're a grunt, chances are you won't have the spare time to even be getting an associates degree in 4 years. If you're like 4/5 of the military and work more regular hours, you can definitely get an associates while on active duty and be able to come quite close (if not attain) a bachelors degree if you're really dedicated.

Play your cards right and you can go in as Billy Jo John Jack from West Virginiey with a GED and have a Masters by age 26 without ever paying for college. ETA: Of course, let me be clear: I think joining the military just to get ahead in life is a terrible idea. People should only be joining if they're okay with killing and being killed for the interests of the nation.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    A test for the forum readers: can you prove the area of a circle is pi*r^2? Without resorting to google, do you know where to start?
    Challenge accepted.

Here goes... (and I don't think I'm missing any major leaps of logic)
    If I may start with the area of a triangle as given: base * height / 2

If I divide the circle up into N arcs, (pizza slices) then, for large N, the area of each one ~ r*Θr where Θ is the angle (so the height is approximated by Θr, using the sin Θ ~ Θ for small Θ approximation) of the arc in the pizza slice.

There will be 2π/Θ slices, so the total area of all the slices is (2π/Θ) * r^2Θ/2
    The Θs and the 2s cancel each other out, and that leaves πr^2 as the limit as Θ approaches zero.

Or, if I can cheat and just integrate... the area is (r^2/2)δΘ integrated from 0 to 2π which is (r^2/2) * (2π) - (r^2/2) * (0) = πr^2

I will confess to using google to find what the alt-codes for inserting the greek letters are...

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I will confess to using google to find what the alt-codes for inserting the greek letters are...
    I'll admit to not remembering anything from math except y=mx+b. Our math teacher told us that unless we became engineers or mathematicians we would never remember anything, except we would remember y=mx+b. She was right.

I can't even remember if proving the area of a circle is pi*r^2 is something I learned in algebra, geometry, or trig/pre-calc. Pretty bad considering I spent literally every single day in after school help for math. There's a reason I went to Norwich University instead of the USNA, and it might have to do with my 480 SAT math score (the old sat).

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Keep in mind that the GI Bill for reserves will accrue/pay differently than the GI Bill for active duty.

If he was active duty and it didn't cover his full amount, then he most likely chose to go to a school/program that exceeded the amount the GI Bill will pay out....$17,000/year I think, don't quote me though. I never paid too much attention to the max payout because my program is well below that amount...my entire degree is less than that.

Many schools know this and simply waive the excess tuition for veterans attending under the GI Bill.......these schools are referred to as Yellow Ribbon schools.

In addition to getting your school paid for, the Post-9/11 GI Bill (compared to the older Montgomery) also pays monthly Basic Allowance for Housing at the rate of E5 with dependents. So, if I was attending full time face to face school in Pittsburgh, I'd be getting $1,545 every month just to pocket for myself. For online degrees, the amount is half the national average...so about $677 or so per month. We also get book stipends.....for me it's been working out to $41 per credit.

Oh, and in some states going to school as prior military will also allow you to claim benefits from public work force development funds.

In addition (again), while on active duty you can get tuition assistance....most guys are using this for online programs, obviously. If you're a grunt, chances are you won't have the spare time to even be getting an associates degree in 4 years. If you're like 4/5 of the military and work more regular hours, you can definitely get an associates while on active duty and be able to come quite close (if not attain) a bachelors degree if you're really dedicated.

Play your cards right and you can go in as Billy Jo John Jack from West Virginiey with a GED and have a Masters by age 26 without ever paying for college. ETA: Of course, let me be clear: I think joining the military just to get ahead in life is a terrible idea. People should only be joining if they're okay with killing and being killed for the interests of the nation.
    It's easy to tell the "4 and out" people who enlisted just for the college money and those of us who enlisted knowing full well what we were getting into. Right now I'm getting my AF Career Development Courses out of the way. Once that's done, I'm going to get my Bachelor's in something I can use to better myself in my given job and maybe grab a commission while I'm at it (a 2nd Lt with prior enlisted experience makes double what I do as an A1C, though it's not necessarily about the money). I've pretty much decided I'm going to be in for 10-12 years the way things are going so I figure I might as well take advantage of what's available for me.

User Tag List