Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after ship struck it

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @Stephanie B, you were a black shoe, right? What would a warship do if propulsion was lost in a case like this where you’re in fairly shallow waters?

Not really a lot of options. Depending upon the speed, distance, time involved you can either try to run the ship aground so that it beaches itself without hitting a structure, or perhaps drop the anchors and hope that they can dig in and get it stopped in time.

Some places will require a ship that's in very tight Waters to have people stationed right on the anchor switches so they can drop them in an instant if a problem happens. Other places will have ships already tied up to tugboats before they get to a narrow area and they can hopefully get it under control before it runs into something.

Not much I can add beyond this: tolerance stacking applies to fucking up, too.

My guess—just from being alive and observant for a while—is this is the confluence of many layers of neglect, in many areas.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not surprised given we invest a fraction into infrastructure compared to other first world nations, which, you know, design the breakwaters around bridges so that a large cargo ship can't physically hit the bridge. The foundation may be damaged and bridge need to be replaced anyway, but...at least it doesn't immediately collapse with everyone on it.

This is a country where a significant amount of retards still think they're safer by not wearing a seatbelt, because seatbelts are a globohomo jew conspiracy to take away your rights. So, I'm really not surprised at all.
    Talking about conspiracies:

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1772632773569790258

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1772599795712143481

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1772584641024741519

And one with humor:

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1772640565697380838
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'm hoping that there is very little loss of life even though it appears that there will be quite a few lives lost due to this tragedy.

I s'pose that 895 is about to get a whole lot busier before the foreseeable future.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Agreed but... some newer vehicles are coming with laminated (windshield glass) in the side windows. Lifehammer will not work on those. Bottom line, know your vehicle and have a water egress plan and gear.
    Generally speaking, glass is marked if it's laminated safety glass. Rear passenger door glass and rear windshield glass is rarely laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I'm hoping that there is very little loss of life even though it appears that there will be quite a few lives lost due to this tragedy.

I s'pose that 895 is about to get a whole lot busier before the foreseeable future.
    Right now CNN is reporting that only six people are still missing. I don't know if other people have been pulled out that are already declared deceased but I'm not seeing a death count on their website. If it's only six that truly would be almost a miracle that it's so low. Although obviously that's still horrible for the families involved.

At a news conference in MD, one official said that the ship sent a mayday for loss of power and control. DOT workers who were working on the bridge shut down access from at least one end after the mayday, helping limit traffic and reducing the death toll. If accurate, that's an amazingly fast reflex time between the ship calling mayday and word getting to the hard hats with boots on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @Stephanie B What would a warship do

What COULD a warship do? Surely it has independent power to multiple screws.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    What COULD a warship do? Surely it has independent power to multiple screws.
    No idea, which is why I asked.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

A summary of what happened:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List