Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after ship struck it

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Who is that idiot and what the hell is he talking about?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Name:  Key Bridge.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  48.8 KB

I'm going to guess that the bridge itself was reasonably well-maintained, there's hardly any running rust.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Authentic Social Media Gibberish.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mothman_Prophecies

The book relates Keel's accounts of his investigation into alleged sightings of a large, winged creature known as Mothman in the vicinity of Point Pleasant, West Virginia, during 1966 and 1967.[2] It combines these accounts with his theories about UFOs and various supernatural phenomena, ultimately connecting them to the collapse of the Silver Bridge across the Ohio River on December 15, 1967.

You’re welcome.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

The book relates Keel's accounts of his investigation into alleged sightings of a large, winged creature known as Mothman in the vicinity of Point Pleasant, West Virginia, during 1966 and 1967.[2] It combines these accounts with his theories about UFOs and various supernatural phenomena, ultimately connecting them to the collapse of the Silver Bridge across the Ohio River on December 15, 1967.

You’re welcome.

Pretty decent movie! After showing it to my future wife when we were first dating I would start looking around every time we would cross any type of large Bridge and tell her I was looking for the mothman. That freaked her out.

But looks like the Key bridge is more of a case of ship happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Authentic Social Media Gibberish.
    That's a line I'll use when the time is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

Moths are pretty small. Wouldn't Pterosaurman be more on point?

Name:  IMG_4037.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  41.0 KB

Ok, so out of my lane, but is anyone else concerned that a 100,000 ton displacement container ship going 8 kt in relatively benign conditions can within 60 seconds of loss of power / inattention / bad fuel / stuck rudder / whatever cost six lives and several $B of damage?

I mean, could no one see this situation with this bridge design as an accident waiting to happen? Is this normal in marine waterways where there is so little margin for error?

Moths are pretty small. Wouldn't Pterosaurman be more on point?
    Probably…

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Some history.

The project cost an estimated $110 million and took five years to complete. When the bridge opened in 1977, it became the final link in Interstate 695, known locally as the Baltimore Beltway.

Interestingly, the ship was hit by a bridge in 1980 but left relatively intact, according to a 1983 report by the National Research Council.

A vessel sailing at 12 knots "lost all propulsion and control about 600 yards" from the bridge and drifted into the main pier at a speed of about 6 knots, the council said. A protective concrete structure was destroyed.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/27/12411...on%20Authority.
    So that bridge is dangerous for ships also.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List