Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Tikka Rifle - Drover Ranch Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    It looks like it has the RoughTech stock which is much more solid and feels better in the hand compared to the standard T3X stock.
    The express iron sights are nice but they would probably preclude the use of a quick change scope. The Tikka rings and mount combos do not included a QD option.
    Putting a rail on top would probably block a clear view of the rear sight.
    Those mags are expensive: $100 per 10 round mag.

I would probably get their Battue version: TX3 stock, no threaded barrel, same sights, you can add a bolt knob and can use the standard 5 round mags at $40 per mag. $855 online.

Have one in 9.3
    You won't be disappointed

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Boar Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The cool thing about this rifle is that it's built from standard parts combined in a non-standard (until now) configuration. It looks like battue sights can work pretty well with an optic.

Battue rifles with various optics: https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6753

Another Battue rifle with a relatively low-mounted optic: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...tocks.6376275/

The Drover is on gunbroker.com now for $1,299. If you want fast handling and light weight, then check out the T3x Compact for $749 MSRP.

Attachment 116616

With that Leupold scope and the 12" LOP, it handles like a quail gun, it weighs well under 7 pounds, and it shoots like a Tikka. Details at https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ebate-Heads-Up The $550 difference should cover cutting and threading the barrel with plenty left over for ammo.

What Tikka really needs to do is bring back the Boar Hunter, but in 308.

Attachment 116617

I've been told that it used the Sako 85 Black Bear barrel with Recknagel sights, but I refuse to understand why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to build it in 300 WM and 338 WM.

Okie John

As a general response and with praise for the Tikka T3 Boar Hunter: I have one and can recommend many good aspects.
    I have a good copy in 30-06 and regard that the velocity loss is acceptable vs. a more optimal 24-inch barrel for the slight handling advantages gained in heavy bush. Also, I prefer heavy bullets for caliber and the 30-06 and the Tikka chamber well support 200 grain bullets, only the Tikka magazine limits OAL length reloads that both fit the magazine and feed well.
    I deploy the rifle with a 4x fixed scope, but I have used the express style sights alone and even a Red Dot sight. The best advantage in dark woods is the magnification and clarity of the scope.
    After this much time (12 years?) some of the dipped camo is flaking off. I am considering a new paint with some added grit on the wrist area for handling confidence. The ergonomics with a scope and open sights alike is still very good.
    The optimized reload that I have with whitetail in mind is a 170 grain FP loaded to about 2500-2600 fps. This is in effect a Win 307. The recoil is very manageable and follow on shots is very possible. Otherwise, I trend toward heavier 180 round nose bullets or 200 grain soft points and Partition bullets.

Best

Swamparse

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    The express iron sights are nice but they would probably preclude the use of a quick change scope. The Tikka rings and mount combos do not included a QD option.
    Putting a rail on top would probably block a clear view of the rear sight.
    I'm a retard. Wouldn't something like these Tikka dovetail QD rings solve that issue?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm a retard. Wouldn't something like these Tikka dovetail QD rings solve that issue?
    No, I'm retarded. Those rings will work.

User Tag List