Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Realtors take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Renting places and storage would have eaten up any higher price.
    Plus there's the six-month migraine required to make all of that stuff happen. Hard to put a price on that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    (talking like I've done it more than 4 times... lol)
    one thing that buying homes and raising children have in common is that most people will only do it 2-5 times in their lifetime, and how you did it 5 years ago is almost certainly out of date, yet they will throw advice around as if they are an expert nonetheless.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Here's what a million bucks can get you in my town:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...2/594387_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...82447081_zpid/

Paying the percentage, when median price hit a million bucks a couple years ago, sucks. There's a few realtors out here charging a flat amount, and they are busy, from what I understand

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Here's what a million bucks can get you in my town
    And still needs bars on the doors:
    Name:  Bars 1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  32.5 KB

and windows:
    Name:  Windows.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  85.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Here's what a million bucks can get you in my town:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...2/594387_zpid/
    Off topic, but "virtually enhanced" and "artificially staged" real estate images are starting to be like fast food advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

The idea of paying 6% to agents is just not ok.. on a $500K house, that's $30,000... insane.
    Remember, you're not paying 6% to the agents.

You're in sales, right? What does the compensation package look like for someone in your field if commission only? With that in mind, what should real estate agents be taking home, in your opinion?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Off topic, but "virtually enhanced" and "artificially staged" real estate images are starting to be like fast food advertisements

I looked at the photos of our old house - which was pretty nice house, when it was put on the market after renovations. All angles from the corners, etc. to make it look big (it was big already). Perfectly good stove was replaced with STAINLESS as were the light fixtures, etc. Watching shows like House Hunters (wife loves and I admit I like some episodes) would not convince me to be an agent.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And still needs bars on the doors:
    Name:  Bars 1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  32.5 KB

and windows:
    Name:  Windows.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  85.7 KB
    A timber frame house in Hawaii dating from 1931 is only standing because the termites are holding hands.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

The last agent I talked to was working the property next door. 1500 sqf. 2 garage, 20x20 shop on 1.5 acres. The owner had died and his daughter was selling it. Not sure who the agent was working for. I saw her in the woods behind the property hanging some pink flagging from a branch. I had to investigate being the nosy neighbor I am. I ask her what the pink flagging was for. She said that was the back property line, more or less. I ask her how she determined that and she said she paced it off. I said if I were you I wouldn't tell anyone that was a property line. She then ask me how I knew that it wasn't. I told her I had a license to practice the fine art of property delineation and knew where the property corners were. I then showed her and she thanked me.

If I hadn't stopped her she probably would have told a prospective buyer that her flag in the woods, 75' north of the actual property line, was about the property line....and they probably would have believed her, being a licensed real estate agent. I don't think she was intentionally trying to deceive anyone, just an overly energetic real-estate agent with poor pacing skills. Pacing is a good way to approximate things quickly but it takes practice.

More than one new property owner was disappointed to find out they just purchased half of someone else's barn when they get their property surveyed. Do it before you buy, not after. And most real estate agents know very little about titles and boundaries because it isn't required to get a license.

I would put it in the contingency language and offer to pay half of the cost. Because I know what it's value is.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-25-2024 at 10:42 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Plus there's the six-month migraine required to make all of that stuff happen. Hard to put a price on that.

Okie John
    I stopped renting around 1978 because I didn't have to do that anymore.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List