Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite coated bullet supplier or maker?

So funny. I literally logged in to start a thread, asking folks who they like for projectiles, these days, and this thread was already at the top. Just ordered 1750 rds of Blue Bullets 147 gr. RN .38 Spl projos, and the $1 Round Nose Dillon Seating Stem. Not sure if I need it, but for $1...

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I've been using https://bayoubullets.net/ for several years now. They didn't raise prices back when there was a shortage. They took backorders and shipped as they got caught up. I use their 138 grain wad cutter in my light 38 Special loads. I've shot many thousands of their 147 and 145 grain 9mm bullets.
    Ditto for Bayou. It’s been a couple of years but I had the reason to call them once and the owner answered the phone. Their bullets have been very consistent for me. I’ve used 38 .148 FWC, 45 200 SWC, and 147 9mm. I’ve been happy with all.

I've had good experiences with Montana Bullet Works. His 230 grain 45 RN is a nice bullet.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...a-230gr-rn-pb/

MBW also sells a 135 grain 9mm. I haven't used these but assume they're a good option especially if someone wants a flat point.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...noe-135gr-rfn/

I'd like to see one of these various makers offer a coated hollow point bullet. I think a coated 158 grain LWSC-HP would be a really good bullet for 38 +P and mild 357 Mag loads.

Something like these two bullets but coated instead of the traditional lube in groove or lube and gas check.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/159-Gra...-359_p_51.html

https://www.mattsbullets.com/38-Spec...agnum_c_9.html

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-28-2024 at 10:06 AM.

I've used Missouri bullets in the past, but the last batch of 148gr WCs I bought from them was marginal quality (casting and coating) to say the least. I've used Blue Bullets extensively in 9mm, but their round-gun selections are pretty limited, and, frankly, the cost is close to RMR FMJs, so I've just gone to using those exclusively. I've used Bear Creek Supply's coated lead a bit, and like them in low-velocity 38s, but not enough to say they'd be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    ...frankly, the cost is close to RMR FMJs....
    Yes. Depending on what RMR may have in stock, the prices for jacketed can really compare to the cost of cast.

I've also had good luck with Berry's plated bullets. Close in price again to some cast options and can sometimes be found on sale for equal or better than cast prices.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

RMR and Berry's are on my list to try eventually™
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Jake at RMR runs a good business. Always fair pricing from my experience and the bullets are good to very good.

They even sell blems at a good discount from time to time, and I swear, I can't what's blemished about them (usually).

Got the sample pack from SNS yesterday and the 2 sample packs from Montana today so I'd call shipping speed between the two a wash right now. The orders were placed on a Sunday night so there's certainly nothing to complain about.

The SNS DEWC and MBC Cowboy #15 look fine to my untrained eye. I did not open the MBC WC yet but just looking at them in the packaging I don't see any cause for concern.

I would imagine the differences in load data for the same bullet weight between lead, coated lead, plated and FMJ aren't all that great? Right now I'm working from Hodgdon's website for 231 which shows LSWC but nothing about coated, RN or FMJ (unless you count XTPs as FMJ). Yes I'm going to get new manuals and see what Alliant's page has for Unique, I'm just working on getting baseline info.

And so it begins...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I would imagine the differences in load data for the same bullet weight between lead, coated lead, plated and FMJ aren't all that great? Right now I'm working from Hodgdon's website for 231 which shows LSWC but nothing about coated, RN or FMJ (unless you count XTPs as FMJ). Yes I'm going to get new manuals and see what Alliant's page has for Unique, I'm just working on getting baseline info.
    You can pretty much interchange the data, but the velocities will be different - lead will be faster than jacketed, with plated somewhere in between. This only matters if you have to meet a power factor for competition; in my case, I usually want my practice ammo to be close to my carry ammo. Loading for rifles is a whole 'nother animal.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I've used blues since 2016 after winning a certificate from the prize table at an IDPA match. I've purchased and won sample packs from other manufacturers and the amount of smoke from them was crazy. I'm shooting their 125 TC right now

User Tag List