Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: untrainable

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    He is a citizen wanting to learn to use a gun

one thing I do when gauging a student is what i call the plate drill. I have them shoot 5 rounds at 5 yards into a paper plate, then we go to 6 rounds at 6 yard ect.
    his last outing he was able to do 7 rounds at 7 yards.
    I guess he has improved but at a snails pace.

I haven't given up on him yet..
    @cracker: good to read that he has not given up and neither have you. Your last post caused me to think, what are the objectives he and you are trying to achieve. Frankly, for a citizen in a self defense context, 7 rounds into a 7 inch circle at 7 yards is pretty good from one perspective. There are more than a few people who can't do that. They are gun owners but not shooters as we might think; a lot of citizens are "ballistic masturbators" so to speak.
    FWIW, I'd have a sit down with the student and lay out some objectives to accomplish, for example:
    1) safe handling with the weapon of his choice
    2)Figure out what a few of his expectations are, and are they realistic given what time and treasure expended. Does he want to carry concealed, or is he just interested in defending his home? Going through safe storage and accessing the weapon would be indicated if the latter.
    Claude Werner, whose thinking and work are pretty respected, has an objective with brand new operators of 1 round on a sheet of paper at 4 yards from a ready position. He came to that conclusion after studying hundreds is self defense situations. A friend and I volunteer at our rural gun club to teach safety and practical shooting-"defensive" in others words. We use the Gila Hayes test: 5 shots on a 5 inch target at 5 yards within 5 seconds from the ready. Just about all operators who come to us can't do that in the first session. After a few more hours over a couple of sessions, about 60% can achieve it.
    To conclude for now, find out what he really wants to achieve, and work with that. It sounds like you two have some good progress already. Best of luck to you both.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    But if you compare him to what you see at a public range he isn't doing that poorly.
    I will second that sentiment.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    If you judge him by by Pistol Forum standards, he is not doing well. But if you compare him to what you see at a public range he isn't doing that poorly
    Your comment made me think of this:

https://www.policemag.com/training/a...is-good-enough
    (See article for the referenced photo)

"During presentations, Dawn Davis uses the above image to illustrate that a student’s shot placements are “good enough” when they land in the A and B zones of the target. An instructor should see this as a success and later can coach the shooter on moving the groupings toward the center of the target.During presentations, Dawn Davis uses the above image to illustrate that a student’s shot placements are “good enough” when they land in the A and B zones of the target. An instructor should see this as a success and later can coach the shooter on moving the groupings toward the center of the target"

User Tag List