Thread: 1911 aluminium frame/screw bushings

1911 aluminium frame/screw bushings

Question:

My son wants slim grips on his Tisas 1911. The frame is aluminum and the bushings are snug. I'm going to use a Chalis tool to remove the original bushings. I don't know if Tisas uses Loctite or anything similar on their bushings, and they haven't responded to my query. Is it safe to heat the bushings with a butane torch? I don't want to damage the aluminum frame.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have several aluminum framed 1911s. Converted all to slim grips. First, looked to see if they are staked. Butane pencil torch will handle blue Loctite. Just look for a tiny wisp of smoke. That's usually the telltale sign.

If the slot twists off, an easy out will get it right out. Usually.

Worst case, but never been there, there are oversize bushings.

@Trooper224

I just swapped out the grip screws on a recent production Tisas last month to replace them with Chalis bushings.

I don't know what Turkish glue they're using, but holy smokes those things were cemented in there. I've changed lots of bushings before, but have never encountered something cemented in like these. It's a white glue, not Loctite or Rock Set or something else I was familiar with. It's more similar to some of the Permatex stuff I've seen.

I tried using a couple different grip bushing removal tools to no avail. Since the frame I was dealing with was steel I used a heat gun and heated it up until it was darn near burning to the touch. Nothing worked.

Ultimately I used a sort of old school method:

1) Find an appropriately sized Torx bit larger slightly large than the grip screw hole.
    2) Use a hammer and gently tap it into the bushing until it's pretty deep and bites solidly into the metal.
    3) Use a screw driver and unscrew that sucker. It's going to take more force than you think.

Be gentle with your tapping. Their bushings are a pretty soft metal and it won't take much force at all (which is part of the problem).

Use a couple sets of vise grips (or a a vise and one set of vise grips) to pop the removed bushing off the bit.
    Last edited by KevH; 03-23-2024 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've had my own share of experiences with grip screws, which is why I asked. I don't want to frack up my sons pistol. So, all things considered, I think we'll leave the bushings as they are. I'm not willing to risk it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I put a set of VZ universal bushings on an aluminum Springfield Champion with no drama, but no experience with Tisas.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List