Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 .45 Junkers

Back in the day, I did a "Beater Pistol Project" on a 1911.

Turned out decent enough. (But only runs with Wilson mags, which defeats the purpose of a cheap gun).

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-1911-edition

Check out the thread.

Lots of donation and advice from members of the forum went into completing my pistol.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by centex View Post
    edited: not a super helpful first reply attempt.

Your Mil Spec is the perfect gun to learn on and tinker with. I went through a similar experiment when learning how the 1911 worked and I'm grateful in hindsight I dove in rather than spending more money on multiple 1911s from the start.
    Centex, I hear your you well, but with my budget the Mil Spec is darn near a high end gun. I'm planning on buying Tisas when I have extra money.

My new Mil Spec arrived at my local gun shop today. I can't wait to apprehend it tomorrow!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

Turned out decent enough. (But only runs with Wilson mags, which defeats the purpose of a cheap gun).

Check out the thread.

Lots of donation and advice from members of the forum went into completing my pistol.
    Gadfly, thank you for your input. I checked out think link you provided. Gun looks pretty good other than the skid marks. I'd be pleased to have it to disassemble and reassemble to get familiar with all its internals and learn how everything operates.

I got the idea of buying a new Tisas from another member to use as my learning model. I think it's a great idea, as it's unlikely I'll come across a decent used gun like your find. When I have a few extra bones I'll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Yes, I may buy a Tisas 1911 as a practice model when I have some extra money

I wasn't aware Tisas sold build kits! Please tell me more about them. Have you purchased and built one?

Thank you for the tip!
    I didn't know Tisas sold kits either, it's something I came across yesterday when doing some research for one of my reviews.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

Check out the thread.

Gadfly, that's a pretty good lookin gun aside from the skid marks. I'd be happy to have it as a test model.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I didn't know Tisas sold kits either, it's something I came across yesterday when doing some research for one of my reviews.
    I took a quick peek at them; they're not really much cheaper than a fully assembled model. I'll likely buy a fully assembled gun in a few months to practice taking it apart and reassembling it. Maybe I'll buy a kit sometime down the road when I'm reasonably confident I know what I'm doing.

I'm sure many kit buyers are happy to get one and soup it up anyway they wish. It'll become a damn custom built 1911! Step aside Nighthawk.

User Tag List