Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45 Junkers

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    That's an interesting set up.

Is it an LTT optic job but without the appropriate height front sight?
    That's correct. I'm using it as a training gun, so I'm not too worried about not having a giant tower looming up from the front of the slide.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Danko

In addition to @KevH's excellent advice, from the outside looking in it appears you're putting the cart before the horse, here. You haven't even gotten your first gun yet. You just ordered it. You don't even own it yet.

You might want to just relax for a bit and actually go shoot your gun at least once before you go buying another or making any plans to tinker.
    I have my hands full. The practice/tinker gun is many months in the future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's a double action only version of the Beretta 92 with no safety lever. Centurion means it's a compact slide on a full sized frame.
    Basically a magazine fed 19 shot S&W Model 19.
    Attachment 116433
    Wow, that's a great looking gun! Excellent find and purchase. Even though you bought some time ago, I think you made out like a bandit!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The problem with YouTube is that people going there for information often do not know whether that information is correct, valid or useful. This is especially an issue in matters where the outcome of following bad YouTube advice can be dangerous- even deadly.

There are a few good, but a whole lot of very bad presentations on YouTube pertaining to the 1911 platform, and I would strongly advise caution to anyone new to the tool to be very careful with the information out there.

Now, of course, this applies to any unvetted information one accesses on the internet, including this forum- and this very post, for the matter- but in general, this forum in particular tends to weed out the bad stuff.
    I agree entirely! Unless the seeker/researcher has some understanding of the subject he/she will have no idea if the presenter is a quack or FOS.

I'm referring to any and all topics, not just firearms. It's kind of related to reading product reviews online. We have to read through them carefully to figure which people sound remotely qualified to make an assessment. If the reviewer doesn't know anything about that specific product and those in the same market, he/she may be making a crap assessment.

Just shoot it.
    The internet would have you believe that it is standard practice to buy a gun - especially a 1911 - and immediately start throwing parts away. The Silent Majority doesn't do that.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

OP why not just get a Tisas Build Kit or their cheaper guns or something along those lines?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Just shoot it.
    The internet would have you believe that it is standard practice to buy a gun - especially a 1911 - and immediately start throwing parts away. The Silent Majority doesn't do that.
    You're right, especially the 1911. Many want to tear into them in an attempt to improve performance and/or reliability. I have no idea of success rate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    OP why not just get a Tisas Build Kit or their cheaper guns or something along those lines?
    Yes, I may buy a Tisas 1911 as a practice model when I have some extra money

I wasn't aware Tisas sold build kits! Please tell me more about them. Have you purchased and built one?

Thank you for the tip!

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Gunshows worth going to seem to have disappeared around the time our betters banned people from smoking in virtually all venues, and that is going back a ways. I am a non-smoker and used to damn near gag from the atmosphere at most gunshows back in the day, but it was usually worth going into the tear gas because there were things of interest and deals to be made. If I am particularly bored, I may attend one now and again for old times' sake, but I go in with the certainty that:

1. anything there is overpriced and/or crappy
    2. there may be worse smells than tobacco smoke.

I agree with the others that in this age of the internet, gunshow 1911s are generally clapped out junk that is not worth the time and money that would need to be put into them. The local gun shops seem to get a fair number of nice trade-in 1911s from people who got buyer's remorse after discovering they required effort to use and maintain, and occasionally one will find an example that is not priced ridiculously.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I did get one of the best deals of my life at a local gun show- my Beretta 92D Centurion for $300. But that was about a decade ago
    I got my stainless Super Blackhawk, with a nice Simply Rugged holster, for $350, but that was at least two decades ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Just shoot it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Yes, I may buy a Tisas 1911 as a practice model when I have some extra money
    I know this sounds like something my dad (RIP...) would say, but from a quick peek it looks like a beater 1911 costs about the same as a case of brass case ammo. No question that you would learn and benefit more from shooting a case of ammo than tinkering on a second pistol.

User Tag List