Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago suing Glock

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    How about if your child is still a minor and living with you - and has a gun - you go to jail. Seems like those two parents just convicted would be precedent. I see in Florida some teenager running around with a gun on the beach. Mom and Dad - why did you let your kid go to the beach with a gun?
    People without minor kids love to suggest laws like this. Same as people who don't play video games want to ban video games. Same as people who don't own sports cars want to ban sports cars, etc.

Suggestions like this are no different and just as morally bankrupt as folks who don't own guns wanting to ban all guns.

If we're going to go down that road, I'd prefer to see DA's held personally liable for the actions of criminals they failed to fully prosecute. DA's office fails to file charges against a career armed robbery dirtbag, and the same dirtbag murders someone when they should have been in prison? DA catches charges for reckless endangerment & manslaughter. too.

But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals. It's a lack of prosecution and accountability for the criminals we have. Making new criminals to fall into the same lack of prosecution and accountability just makes everything worse.

Enforce the laws we have, fully.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.
    Damn fine wordsmithing, right there.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I might differ as having parental responsibility for one's children seems a good thing to me. Laws to hold parents responsible for truancy? Bad idea.

Of course, DAs should prosecute. But we will differ on parents.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    I might differ as having parental responsibility for one's children seems a good thing to me. Laws to hold parents responsible for truancy? Bad idea.

Of course, DAs should prosecute. But we will differ on parents.
    There's a multitude of parental responsibilities codified in law. No need to manufacture more criminals out of otherwise honest folks who keep a firearm in their homes to protect themselves and their families.

I might differ as having parental responsibility for one's children seems a good thing to me.
    You're not on the wrong track with that, but sending the single mom to prison and shuffling the already at risk kid through equally irresponsible relatives isn't going to fix the problem. Until the culture changes in certain parts of town, nothing will change.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

...having parental responsibility for one's children seems a good thing to me.
    Parents can surely be liable for the acts of their children - but how strict should that liability be?

You and the missus are going out for the evening to the company Xmas party, leaving 17 year old Brittany home alone. You're not worried, because she has been a model child so far. That comes to an end this evening when she invites some friends over, they get into the six pack of beer unlocked in the fridge, grab the keys to the Excursion and she t-bones a van full of photogenic toddlers.

You are of course financially liable, but should you go to jail?

I think we want to articulate a line somewhere between that and Crack-mom loaning her 14 year old a glock for a night out with his friends. And I think that line ought to have some element of 'reasonably foresee' instead of just 'gun'.

Site Supporter
    I'm not going to pursue this for every instance of children's misbehavior. My thought was that we have a set of failed and irresponsible parents. Our failed society has produced these parents. I was thinking that in the extreme cases of gun usage, there might be some deterrent value. Pick your issue - allowing access to alcohol or drugs? Civil penalties are useless against these parents who have no assets.

I do know of a case where a dad let his kid drive Dad's prized muscle car when the lad got his license. The kid was a model kid, etc. Told him not to pick up friends. Just drive around the neighborhood. Kid did pick up friends and hit something at 100 mph.

I suppose I think that guns are a different item in kind than other misuse. I am just appalled at children out of control. Then we say: What about their parents?

Well, they don't have functional parents. I've said before that the destruction of jobs led to this.

You can't sue the parents - they have nothing. Criminal penalties - reasonable arguments against them. The only cure is societal change. We aren't going to put in the programs for education and employment to do that. Can cultural change by preaching, social groups do anything? Don't know.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Chicago is that one guy no one wants on their team. Incompetent fucks.
    City government here is perfectly competent. They’re just evil. That’s the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You're not on the wrong track with that, but sending the single mom to prison and shuffling the already at risk kid through equally irresponsible relatives isn't going to fix the problem. Until the culture changes in certain parts of town, nothing will change.
    This. We need long term, generational of the kind that takes years and years.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I agree. I was just tearing my hair out (OOPS - I don't have much left) over the youth with guns as in the recent FL video of a 16 year old running around on the beach with a gun and bag full of marijuana. Is there a way to instill a parental culture change that imbues some parents with responsibility. I know the answer - education, good jobs, two parent homes, etc. I was perhaps thinking that informing 'parent's of their own risk might make them more responsible. Just a thought but I see the difficulties.

Does the conviction of the Crumbley parents inform and deter other parents from reckless gun access for disturbed kids. From what I read about James, he seems to be a failed person himself.

Thread drift, I grant you.

To Chicago's suit - does the PLCAA offer Glock any protection? One might see a suit, if Bump stocks come back (Waiting for Trump to promise to continue his ban in a campaign speech) might one sue the AR companies for making a gun that is ''modifiable' with a 'machine gun' extra gadget.

As Thomas and Alito slumber on.

User Tag List