Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot concealment concerns

Red Dot concealment concerns

I have tried red dots half a dozen different times on four different platforms and I cannot get them to conceal on my frame in the appendix position. It takes a gun that disappears on me to one that I cannot conceal at all (I've tried the carry sized optics as well). The right side of the optic always prints unless I'm standing in the absolute perfect posture, it'll print.

Using good JM holsters that otherwise make the gun disappear, add a dot and i look like i have a pointy belly button. I've decided they just aren't in the cards for me right now. If I can't conceal them, there isn't a point. I carry a p2000 year round, and have concealed a handgun for over 11 years now.

Anyone else have this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have tried red dots half a dozen different times on four different platforms and I cannot get them to conceal on my frame in the appendix position. It takes a gun that disappears on me to one that I cannot conceal at all (I've tried the carry sized optics as well). The right side of the optic always prints unless I'm standing in the absolute perfect posture, it'll print.

Using good JM holsters that otherwise make the gun disappear, add a dot and i look like i have a pointy belly button. I've decided they just aren't in the cards for me right now. If I can't conceal them, there isn't a point. I carry a p2000 year round, and have concealed a handgun for over 11 years now.

Anyone else have this issue?
    What kind of belt are you using? If it’s too stiff a belt, it can’t conform to the left side/inner side of the holster and pull it in as close. I’m not aware if a better designed belt for appendix than the Zero from Tenicor. It’s a strong belt, but has enough flex to address that problem. Also, my Tenicor Velo 4’s conceal better than my JM’s and Tenicor Certum’s too. It’s just a bit wider and helps pull the optic in better.

Full disclosure: Tenicor is a sponsor of my podcast. Still the best gear I’ve ever had.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    What kind of belt are you using? If it’s too stiff a belt, it can’t conform to the left side/inner side of the holster and pull it in as close. I’m not aware if a better designed belt for appendix than the Zero from Tenicor. It’s a strong belt, but has enough flex to address that problem. Also, my Tenicor Velo 4’s conceal better than my JM’s and Tenicor Certum’s too. It’s just a bit wider and helps pull the optic in better.

Full disclosure: Tenicor is a sponsor of my podcast. Still the best gear I’ve ever had.
    Tenicore zero and jm wing claw 2.0 with mastermind junk pillow

I can make a dotted 1911 & Shield Plus work IWB for me, but had a hard time with a Glock 19 in the same position.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Not so much since i've switched to an enigma. It applies force over a greater area and, for me, pulls the whole gun in vs rotating the grip etc...

Things that i did notice made a difference when running belt mounted holsters as i made the dot switch, in no particular order...

running an aiwb mag pouch centerline opposite the gun - this added some bulk and made the curve more even across the front of the body so that the dot was not protruding out much more than the rest of my pantline.

less grip tuck allowed the optic to sit more against my stomach. So on a modwing for example, i would normally run the highest attachment for maximum grip tuck but with a dot it levered the optic out. I switched to the lower attachment and this relaxed the rotation pushing the optic out while only minimally decreasing grip tuck.

more muzzle wedge to tilt the whole top of the gun inward. It was slightly less comfortable but did help hide the upper half of the gun better.

wide spaced dcc clips, like on a JMCK 2.0 that evenly distributed the pressure and weight of the gun helped with overall comfort and concealment.

longer holsters for more constant leverage/pressure. Rollout is a problem with iron sighted guns too, but i find it exacerbated with dots. More weight/mass and what not.

slightly more stiff belt.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Are you using a JM with a wing or a George?

Edited to add, I just saw your post above. A wing makes an optic print for me much more. Other than an Acro, it is never the optic that prints in me. I use a George.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you using a JM with a wing or a George?

Edited to add, I just saw your post above. A wing makes an optic print for me much more. Other than an Acro, it is never the optic that prints in me. I use a George.

Wing claw, with a dot I take off the wedge part so it's just the bar. I still need some grip tuck.

Wing claw, with a dot I take off the wedge part so it's just the bar. I still need some grip tuck.
    I think this describes the issue. I need a claw so the grip of my pistol doesn't print. That leads to the optic printing. I can take off the actual claw and leave the bar which balances the two but I still get dot printing, even with an aggressive wedge which makes it uncomfortable and more difficult to draw.

Can you see my frustration. Comparatively I can conceal a duty sized hand gun with irons with no issue. I'm stuck because I get the advantages of a dot but it's complicating my csrry process so much that I am throwing my hands up.

Makes sense. What about trying the Enigma like mentioned above. Damn it’s a brilliant system.

I’m about 25lbs overweight and can wear fairly loose and strategic colored shirts. So “covered” carry with some printing from time to time is ok for me. But my carry system fits my situation.

Are you carrying in an NPE? Otherwise a little print isn’t the end of the world.

Just curious.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Have you tried an enigma? I find it does a much better job of applying pressure to the wing claw for grip tuck while also keeping the slide and optic tucked in than I can get with traditional holsters. I can barely tell the difference with or without a P2.

User Tag List