Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45 8 Round Magazines

Site Supporter

No Free Extra Round

So far the consensus seems to be 8 round flush fit magazines work fine when new, but soon become unreliable. That makes perfect sense as the lighter gauge spring required to fit 8 rounds in the space of seven suggests the spring is rather wimpy compared to a seven round spring. I was skeptical of gettin' somethin' for nothin'. It's never a reality. The solution is simple enough, purchase four Wilson and four McCormick magazines and get used to reloading more frequently. I'm babied by shooting a 9mm double stack with four magazines. I can adapt!

Thank you guys for steering me clear of the 8 round mags before I wasted any money on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    8 round, flush mount magazines
    This isn't a consideration for a carry gun, it's all about spending less time reloading while at the range.

If concealment is not needed, get native 8 round magazines. What does it matter if they protrude a bit?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

8 round flush fit mags are 7 round mags retrofitted to hold 8. These are not reliable. If 8 rounds are required, the Wilson ETM, CMC Powermag and others designed to hold 8 rounds are the way to go. If time spent reloading at the range is your concern, it seems to me that being concerned over one round might be false economy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

All my mags (except those that came with my Pro) are either Wilson ETM's or Vickers non-flush fit. Never had an issue with them. I do re-spring at about 500 for the ETMS.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

In my experiences, reliable flush fit 1911 magazines are 7-rounds only. 8-round magazines have an extended baseplate to accommodate proper spring tension. I use Wilson 8-rounds ETM for my .45 ACP chambered 1911's and 10-round ETM's for my 9mm 1911's.

A classic CMC Power Mag with a Wilson thin steel basepad is the closest thing you will get to a totally reliable 8 round sort-of-flush mag.

I actually like Wilson 47D's, but you have to change out the springs religiously (and swap to a steel basepad) to get them to work.

I use the CMC RPM's, IMO if the CMC's bump pad blows your concealment, you're doing something wrong.

Slightly off-topic: Recently I sent all my old GI mags to Ed Brown for his mag swap program. I probably missed it, but are the ED Brown stainless eight rounders gtg?

They function in all my pistols, but I haven't used them a lot as I mainly use CMC RPM's - love them. I actually have more ten rounders than eight rounders. Kind of an eight (actually nine) in the gun, ten for fun thing.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter

Smile Mil Spec

Mr. Robinson, you recall I'm the guy intending to buy a Springfield .45 Mil Spec. Great memory. I ordered it today and put down half the cost. My excitement rose another 5 notches. Yes, you made a valid point, an 8 round mag jutting out a hair will have no bearing on target shooting. When I want the gun to look pretty to show someone, I'll insert a 7 round mag. I recall you helped me cement my decision on the Mil Spec. It's the gun I wanted all along for my budget. Hearing you and several others say it's a decent, reliable gun sewed it up for me.

Thank you again!

So far the consensus seems to be 8 round flush fit magazines work fine when new, but soon become unreliable. That makes perfect sense as the lighter gauge spring required to fit 8 rounds in the space of seven suggests the spring is rather wimpy compared to a seven round spring. I was skeptical of gettin' somethin' for nothin'. It's never a reality. The solution is simple enough, purchase four Wilson and four McCormick magazines and get used to reloading more frequently. I'm babied by shooting a 9mm double stack with four magazines. I can adapt!

Thank you guys for steering me clear of the 8 round mags before I wasted any money on them!
    I wonder if this holds true of the 7 round flush fit for officer length frames.
    I have 4 of them I’ve been using in a SIG CCO for over a decade with no issues but I don’t carry it (Canada true North strong and not so free).
    The standard capacity is 6 rounds and I wonder if leaving the 7 rounders loaded like you would if you were carrying the gun would ruin their reliability.
    I’m tempted to start down loading them by one during my range exercises.

I'm still in the early phase of learning about the 1911 .45. I know, or think Colt makes 8 round flush fit mags, so I figured if Colt makes them, everyone else must make them too.
    I have around 20 stainless Colt 8 rounders that I've used for decades with only occasional spring changes. The followers are Devel, I mean CMC, and I regularly replace the springs with Wolff extra power. They only see moderate use however.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List