Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1911 .45 8 Round Magazines

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    They do flare out because they wrap around the mag tube rather than just attach to the bottom of the mag like 47 pad. It covers up the extra tube length that will stick out of the bottom of the mag well because the mag tube is longer.
    Thanks that makes sense. I hadn’t thought about it like that, that the wide bumpers are kinda sorta cosmetic. I was wondering about this be cause I had all 10 of my mags out today, and I remembered I swapped almost ALL of the ETM basepads for the Wilson narrow steel ones that came on my 47Cs (which I populated with narrow plastic ones).

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    This reminds me of what seems to be the only downside of Wilson's acquisition of CMC and that is they don't have a full listing of replacement parts for the CMC mags that used to be offered at the old CMC website.
    Right. When IDPA began allowing the loaded chamber reload, I wanted to add the thick base to my XPs for an easier push on the reload, and they no longer listed them. So I asked. The rep replied that they had some left but not enough to catalog, all I had to do was put 5/8" in the notes on my order and I would get them. So I did.

I will see what this spotty magazine seems to need, maybe I will have to ask if they have a stash of springs.

I wish I knew a canister Damascus knife maker, I bet the squashed and unidentified springs would be good feedstock.

Related Anecdote Alert.
    I had good results from Metalform magazines, so when they offered a 10x9mm, I ordered a bunch. I was surprised to see that they had 1950 era rear spacers instead of the "front ramp" I had been shooting at 9x9mm. But they worked ok... for a while. When they went south, fresh springs did not help. But I recalled I had 9mms feeding out of one of their .38 Super magazines, so I discarded the spacers and put in Super followers and springs. Which worked fine. But they would not sell me their proprietary round top, front guide followers. So I ground notches in some .45 followers for some, and put Tripp followers in others, to get them usable again.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The Wilson Combat ETM HD/+P has become my favorite. They work in all of my 1911s and have held up well after many cycles. The flat wire springs are still strong after years of use and I haven't had any issues with feed lip spread. I use the low profile steel baseplates and have no issues with concealment. The standard ETMs work in all my guns and when the springs get tired, I replace them with the flat wire HD/+P springs.

The CMC Power Mags are great if they work in your gun, I have some guns that don't like them. The springs tend to last a long time and the follower is forgiving if the mags are dropped in sand/dirt.

Here's a good video from Kyle Parsons on 1911 magazines:

For 8 round magazines, I strongly recommend using an extended tube magazine; what you need to be aware of with them, though, is the profile of your 1911's frontstrap at the bottom-if it's a chisel profile instead of a ledge, it a polymer basepad on the magazine can over-insert and get wedged, inducing issues.

In a welded baseplate magazine, I much prefer 7 rounders than 8; that 8th round is really crammed in there, and there can be magazine insertion and ejection issues (that is, ejecting the magazine from the receiver, not cartridge ejection issues). 8 round welded baseplate magazines are essentially a 7 round tube with a modified follower, allowing the 8th round to be crammed in. There's very little cartridge flexibility space when the magazine is fully loaded.

If I'm going to use a welded baseplate magazine to minimize printing, I'll likely use a 7 rounder. And if I'm using 7 rounders welded baseplate magazines, the first administratively loaded magazine will be without any additional magazine screw on/glue on bumper pad, but my reload magazines will have an additional bumper pad screwed on, to assist in seating the magazine in the receiver when reloading.

I'm a sponsored Check-Mate Industry shooter, and have used their magazines since at least 2007, and have done much t&e and product analysis/improvement with them over the years. My personal preference is to go with a carbvon steel tube, and a fully skirted and dimpled follower.. In using their hybrid and wadcutter/semi-wadcutter feedlip tubes, I haven't seem much differences in reliability personally (and the same regarding a dimple on the follower). Be aware if you go to a hybrid feedlip magazine, you'll need to carry it in a fairly tight pouch, as otherwise the top round can work it's way loose out of the magazine id the magazine is slopping around inside the pouch. Similarly, if you eject a full or partially loaded hybrid feedlip magazine, odds are good that the top most cartridge will skitter out of the magazine on impact with the floor/ground.

I also recommend increased power magazine springs regardless of the magazine chosen.

Wadcutter/semi-wadcutter bullets are the devil's spawn, and if that bullet is your preference, be aware there's an excellent chance you'll need to have your 1911 gunsmithed for them for feeding/chambering reliability.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Here's a good video from Kyle Parsons on 1911 magazines:
    I don't know much about 10 rounders, but I would be surprised if CMC 10 rounders had GI feed lips. If they did have GI feed lips, I would expect rounds from GI feed lips to normally have rounds hit higher on the feed ramp rather than lower on the feed ramp as he is showing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I can tell you that Wilson 47Ds aren't worth a damn at 8 rounds. I think they are actually a 7 round tube with a different follower and possibly a smaller wire. The spring just will not last loading them to capacity. I just converted all of mine by putting 7 round spring kits in them about 2 months ago which should last much much longer. Time will tell, but I've been told by many that they will. Other than spring life they are great mags.

It you get 8 round mags make sure to get one with a tube that's designed to be an 8 round.
    I don't doubt it. I watched a guy on YouTube disassemble a 7 rd and 8rd flush fit Colt mag. He measured their spring lengths and diameters. The 8 rd was quite a bit longer with a smaller diameter. I'm steering clear of the 8 rd flush fit models. I'll buy a few 8 rd mags with longer tubes designed for 8 rounds.

Thank you for chiming in!

User Tag List