Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45 8 Round Magazines

Site Supporter

1911 .45 8 Round Magazines

I'd like to hear from 1911 .45 owners who use 8 round, flush mount magazines. Are they as reliable as 7 round mags? Are some brands more reliable than others? This isn't a consideration for a carry gun, it's all about spending less time reloading while at the range. I've heard Wilson Combat, Meg-gar and Chip McCormick mags are all reliable 7 round mags. Do these three also make good, reliable 8 round models? I don't yet own the gun, but have 500 rounds of 230gr Remington, green & white box on the way. I'm slowly inching closer to my goal. Thank you!
    Last edited by Danko; 03-19-2024 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Missing detail

I have a total of six Wilson Combat 8 round magazines. Four ETM #500's in use since October 22, that I've upgraded with flat wire springs out of personal preference. I bought two more of the #500-C-HD mags in December.

My Springfield Garrison has 1,545 rounds through, perhaps 80% with these mags; the rest being with my WC #47C seven rounders. I tend to wait for when they go on sale at Wilson, and buy them then. No malfunctions or stoppages due to the magazines.

Many thousands of rounds thru Chip McCormick mags with out issue in several different 1911's.

Site Supporter

Post Edit

I just edited my post to say 8 round magazines that are flush fit.

I can tell you that Wilson 47Ds aren't worth a damn at 8 rounds. I think they are actually a 7 round tube with a different follower and possibly a smaller wire. The spring just will not last loading them to capacity. I just converted all of mine by putting 7 round spring kits in them about 2 months ago which should last much much longer. Time will tell, but I've been told by many that they will. Other than spring life they are great mags.

It you get 8 round mags make sure to get one with a tube that's designed to be an 8 round.

Site Supporter

8 Round Flush Fit

I'm still in the early phase of learning about the 1911 .45. I know, or think Colt makes 8 round flush fit mags, so I figured if Colt makes them, everyone else must make them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I just edited my post to say 8 round magazines that are flush fit.
    No. There are no flush fit 8-round magazines that work. If you want flush fit, stick to 7-round magazines from Chip McCormick.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I can tell you that Wilson 47Ds aren't worth a damn at 8 rounds. I think they are actually a 7 round tube with a different follower and possibly a smaller wire. The spring just will not last loading them to capacity. I just converted all of mine by putting 7 round spring kits in them about 2 months ago which should last much much longer. Time will tell, but I've been told by many that they will. Other than spring life they are great mags.

It you get 8 round mags make sure to get one with a tube that's designed to be an 8 round.
    So, the 47D is designed specifically around the 200-grain LSWC bullet profile loaded pretty light once upon a time the hotness of bullet profiles in competition shooting. It turns out if you feed them a steady'ish diet of 230-grain rounds they'll turn into non-functional 8-rounders in ~500 rounds or less. It's just something about the magazine itself. Like you, I have a number of them that I have simply stripped the guts out of and replaced them with Tripp Super 7 kits. They are 100% as Tripp-Wilsons and actually are go to mags when I have a new gun and I want to make sure I don't have a magazine issue when shooting it at first. For that matter, they are go to mags for carry.

___

As far as reliable 8-rounders. The aforementioned Wilson #500s work, Tripp Cobramags work, and some folks have had good luck with CMC PowerMags, I've had decent luck with their 10-rounders, enough that I'd try their 8-rounders if I didn't have ~3 dozen Wilsons of various flavors.

I think all of my 8 rounders are Chip McCormick Shooting stars and I've been happy with them. Mec Gar should make good ones as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Don't know who makes'em for Sig but I've been using Sig Sauer 8 rounders in my Combat Commander 45acp and they seem to work very well.....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I'm still in the early phase of learning about the 1911 .45. I know, or think Colt makes 8 round flush fit mags, so I figured if Colt makes them, everyone else must make them too.
    Colt does indeed supply flush fit 8-round magazines with some of their guns. Those mags seem to work okay, at least in the short term. I personally do not use those mags, I store them in the original case that came with the gun and use different mags for carry, training, and practice.

The most reliable 8-round magazines will be those built specifically to hold 8 rounds. That is, they have a bit of extra length to accommodate the extra round. Thus they are not flush fit.

I have a bunch of Ed Brown 8-round magazines and they tend to work. I also have Wilson Combat ETMs and they work too. My carry gun is loaded using a Wilson Combat model 47, which is a 7-round magazine. Seven in the mag and one in the chamber gives me eight rounds. I use my 8-round mags for practice.

My advice is either stick with 7-round mags OR use 8-round mags that are not flush fit. Use your flush fit mags for looks if you want (they do look right in a Mil-Spec), but there are better options for actual shooting.

User Tag List