Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45 8 Round Magazines

Site Supporter
    I am also a fan of the Wilson 47Ds and they have worked really well on the original springs for a decade. That may indicate that I don’t shoot it as much as others here…but they are perfect for my use case. And I would bet yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I am also a fan of the Wilson 47Ds and they have worked really well on the original springs for a decade.
    The 47D is the classic hot button for the Wilson line-up. Some love them and some hate them.

The thing to understand is that the 47D is not the best mag in the Wilson line-up. It may work for folks, but Wilson has better offerings.

For instance, the full size 7 round 47 uses the same tube as the 47D, but gives you a better spring and follower than the 47D. The 7 round 47 will seat easier with a full mag and the slide forward and will function better for a longer time than the 47D.

The full size ETM 8 rounder has a longer tube than the 47D and also has a better spring and follower than the 47D. Likewise, the ETM will also seat easier with a full mag and the slide forward and function better for a longer time than the 47D.

As Bill Wilson and Bill Rogers discuss in this video, the 47D is the proverbial "10 lbs in a 5 lb bag". It's not a bad mag, it is better than many mags, but Wilson has better options in their own line-up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Have you had good luck with any of the available 10-rounders?
    I’ve had better results with the Chip McKormick powermags than the Wilson’s. Be prepared to replace springs on either eventually.

Both work really well with Tripp super 9 spring/ follower kits installed.

Site Supporter

Right Track

Thank you all for chiming in with your experiences with different brands and models of magazines. I was suspect of 8 round, flush fit mags, you guys confirmed my suspicion. Of all the components that make up an auto pistol, on the surface one would never guess it's magazine is critically important to proper functioning of the gun. In a similar vain one would never guess magazines would have so many different types of feed lips and follower designs. The posted article is very informative. I read a similar piece in a 1911 book I have. I thought, after so much research and testing shouldn't one design emerge as the best. Along the way I also learned all 1911s aren't entirely equal. All makes and models of guns won't necessarily operate correctly with one specific magazine make and model. How am I to know which brand and model magazine my new Mil Spec will prefer. I guess closely examining the one mag that comes with the gun will provide some basic clues.

In one book I read on the 1911 the author contends if 1911 manufacturers adhered to JMB's original specs, most of the fitment issues we hear of would evaporate. Add to that the fact the 1911 is now constructed of several different materials, by several different processes, is made in several different sizes, and users expect their guns to function properly with the original designed 230 grain ball ammo and most other .45 ammo designed over the last hundred years and it should be glaringly obvious why the 1911 is considered a poor design by many. JMB would likely be rather disgusted if he saw what became of his gun.
    Last edited by Danko; 03-20-2024 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Missing detail

Site Supporter
    I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but FYI, Wilson Combat owns Chip McCormick, ever since Chip died.

I wish Wilson had made the 500 series mags to be compatible with their 47 basepads. I don't like 1911 basepads that flare out on the sides. I prefer a straight profile all the way down the sides. It looks like the 500A-HD (Aluminum basepad) would be my only option. However I DO wish the basepad was as long as (and contoured like) the extended 47 pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    In a similar vain one would never guess magazines would have so many different types of feed lips and follower designs. The posted article is very informative. I read a similar piece in a 1911 book I have.
    Oooh, I read that, and was pretty sure what articles you were talking about, but I missed the earlier post and had to back track to find this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Here's a great read on some of the more important 1911 magazine concerns like feed lip shape and presentation angle, follower design, whether they're controlled round feed or not, etc:

https://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/
    https://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/
    Man, I would have recommended against reading those articles.

I applaud the writer for all the hard work put into those articles, but his main points are - 1. Wilson Combat mags bypass controlled round feed; 2. Hybrid feed lips are the best feed lips design. He never really proves either point.

For #1 - what would be the characteristic of Wilson mags that cause a loss of controlled round feed? Is it the wadcutter feed lips? Do you know what other mags use wadcutter feed lips? Tripp Research does. Chip McCormick does. ACT-Mag does. Just about every 1911 mag maker uses wadcutter feed lips in their 1911 mags, even CheckMate, who currently produces mags for Colt, offers wadcutter feed lipped mags.

2. If hybrid feed lips are the best, and I'm not saying they don't work, but if they are the best, wouldn't it be logical that all mag makers would produce mags with hybrid feed lips. If you search around for 1911 mags with hybrid feed lips, you won't find many. CheckMate may be the only current maker of the design. If wadcutter feed lips didn't work we'd probably hear about it since nearly everybody that shoots a 1911 probably uses a mag with wadcutter feed lips. The top mag brands in the 1911 world all use wadcutter feed lips in their best mags, Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripp. Jason Burton recommends Wilson mags with wadcutter feed lips, Hilton Yam recommends mags with wadcutter feed lips, etc. Wadcutter feed lips are the default 1911 feed lip design, and they do work.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I wish Wilson had made the 500 series mags to be compatible with their 47 basepads. I don't like 1911 basepads that flare out on the sides. I prefer a straight profile all the way down the sides. It looks like the 500A-HD (Aluminum basepad) would be my only option. However I DO wish the basepad was as long as (and contoured like) the extended 47 pads.
    They do flare out because they wrap around the mag tube rather than just attach to the bottom of the mag like 47 pad. It covers up the extra tube length that will stick out of the bottom of the mag well because the mag tube is longer.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Oooh, I read that, and was pretty sure what articles you were talking about, but I missed the earlier post and had to back track to find this...

Man, I would have recommended against reading those articles.

I applaud the writer for all the hard work put into those articles, but his main points are - 1. Wilson Combat mags bypass controlled round feed; 2. Hybrid feed lips are the best feed lips design. He never really proves either point.

For #1 - what would be the characteristic of Wilson mags that cause a loss of controlled round feed? Is it the wadcutter feed lips? Do you know what other mags use wadcutter feed lips? Tripp Research does. Chip McCormick does. ACT-Mag does. Just about every 1911 mag maker uses wadcutter feed lips in their 1911 mags, even CheckMate, who currently produces mags for Colt, offers wadcutter feed lipped mags.

2. If hybrid feed lips are the best, and I'm not saying they don't work, but if they are the best, wouldn't it be logical that all mag makers would produce mags with hybrid feed lips. If you search around for 1911 mags with hybrid feed lips, you won't find many. CheckMate may be the only current maker of the design. If wadcutter feed lips didn't work we'd probably hear about it since nearly everybody that shoots a 1911 probably uses a mag with wadcutter feed lips. The top mag brands in the 1911 world all use wadcutter feed lips in their best mags, Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripp. Jason Burton recommends Wilson mags with wadcutter feed lips, Hilton Yam recommends mags with wadcutter feed lips, etc. Wadcutter feed lips are the default 1911 feed lip design, and they do work.
    Fair enough. I don't think I even disagree with the points you've made. I should have added some context. My intent in posting that was, most (maybe elsewhere but, less so on PF) seem to approach this issue of a 1911 functioning being either, "This mag is good or bad," or "Buy brand X."

I felt like the presentation on that website does a decent job of showing that there are quite a few other factors to consider. For a given malfunction, maybe it's the mag. Maybe it's the feed ramp, improperly sized slide stop, etc. Point being, it's not always as simple as "Buy brand X".

Personally, I've had the best experience across the most guns with CMC Power Mags and Tripp Cobras.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    They do flare out because they wrap around the mag tube rather than just attach to the bottom of the mag like 47 pad. It covers up the extra tube length that will stick out of the bottom of the mag well because the mag tube is longer.
    Fair enough. I just want a top quality 8 round magazine that uses these basepads (or something shaped identically)
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006108576?pid=119116

I've always used Checkmate magazines. I think they are Colt and Kimber original equipment. I remember buying a few dozen new for about $15/ea years ago. Never had a problem with any of them. They make both 7 and 8 rd magazines. If you aren't using your pistol for carry why pay $50 for a magazine.

If you have two dozen mags, load them up before a range trip and avoid the down time loading mags at the range.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines...zine-colt.html
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List