Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45 8 Round Magazines

I’ve been using nothing but 8 round mags in my 1911s for decades, yes the slightly extended mags will have a longer life span. But I have used both CMC and Kimber Tac-Mags with great success, all my full-size 1911s have Magwells so flush fit is a no go for them. I only use the flush fit 8’s in commander sized guns that I conceal carry, been using the CMC and Tac-Mags in one since the early 2000’s without issue.

As far as slightly extended 8 rounders, I’ve got a great amount of different ones that have worked extremely well for me. At least a dozen Tripp Cobra mags, my personal favorites, about 10 Wilson ETM, 9 EB that I got in the trade in deal and a couple 47d’s. I haven’t used a 7 round mag in a 1911 in well over 20 years, to be honest I really didn’t realize folks still did.

I’ve never believed in the find a mag that works with your 1911 train of thought, I’ve always believed that any quality good conditioned mag should work in a well running 1911. If your gun is mag sensitive it’s not a mag issue it’s a gun issue.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party and edge of my lane:

Flush fit is not remotely a priority for me. Not an issue if the gun has even a modest Wilson Slip on Mag Well.

I have used the following 4 mags in 3 1911s, two Kimber Series 5 inch guns and a Colt 1991.

Wilson 47D- They worked until they did not. Sold them to a fan.

CMC Power Mags-They work though the feed lips can widen out of spec. Used them for carry mags and training mags

Cobra Tripp- Used 3 for a 2006 Gunsite Trip (pardon the pun with great success). Use them for training mags and would have bought more for carry mags but the CMC Power Mags worked fine in my gun(s) and were cheaper

Wilson ETM- Now -my go to carry mag for the one 1911 I still own- my original SN8200ish Kimber a/k/a "The Truth"- I often download 1 round. 7 of 8 in a purpose designed 8 rd mag +1 in the chamber.

At the expense of sounding old school- and incorporating the collective experience of 4 shooting buddies who owned 100+ 1911s from OEM Colt to Chuck Rogers and back- Some guns like some mags with some loads better.
    It is often cheaper and less time consuming to figure out which mag v tweaking the gun and/or having it tweaked.

Having said that, today, if I bought a 1911 and it did not run with ETMs or CMC Power Mags- it would go back until it did.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Personally, I've had the best experience across the most guns with CMC Power Mags and Tripp Cobras.
    The usual response on forums when folks read those "how i did it" articles is they dump their Wilson mags because "they by-pass controlled round feed", and buy CMC or Tripp mags.

What I always try to point out to these folks is there may be some legitimate reasons to prefer a CMC mag or Tripp mag over a Wilson mag, it could be you prefer the follower of one, or the tube, or the spring, or the base pad, and they are all legitimate reasons for choosing a CMC mag or Tripp mag over a Wilson mag, but they all have wadcutter feed lips. If Wilson mags in fact do by-pass controlled round feed, it would be because of the feed lips, and then so would CMC and Tripp mags and just about all 1911 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Fair enough. I just want a top quality 8 round magazine that uses these basepads (or something shaped identically)
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006108576?pid=119116
    Yeah, I can't help you with your search, I was just pointing out why they use the flared bumper pad. Just about all of the extended tube mags, from just about all the makers used a flared bumper pad with their extended tube mags. Actually, it is usually a handy visual tool to identify an extended tube 8 rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've always used Checkmate magazines. I think they are Colt and Kimber original equipment. I remember buying a few dozen new for about $15/ea years ago. Never had a problem with any of them. They make both 7 and 8 rd magazines. If you aren't using your pistol for carry why pay $50 for a magazine.

If you have two dozen mags, load them up before a range trip and avoid the down time loading mags at the range.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines...zine-colt.html
    I always recommend to folks that if they like a particular CheckMate mag, buy it with the CheckMate stamp and not the Colt or Kimber stamp unless you can see the mag in person.

Colt has used a variety of suppliers over the years and you can never guarantee what you are getting, unless the retailer specifically lists the features, until you get the mag in your hand. For instance, maybe you do like hybrid feed lips, or the CheckMate patented follower, a place like Top Gun Supply or Thunder Mountain Custom will list those features and you can be sure of what you're getting. If not, it could be anything. Of course if the features don't matter to you, then it doesn't matter.

Top Gun Supply https://www.topgunsupply.com/magazin...heck-mate.html

Thunder Mountain Custom https://1911parts.com/product-catego...acp-magazines/

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I don't like 1911 basepads that flare out on the sides.

CMC Power Mags have bases the same width as the tube.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Jason Burton recommends Wilson mags with wadcutter feed lips, Hilton Yam recommends mags with wadcutter feed lips, etc. Wadcutter feed lips are the default 1911 feed lip design, and they do work.
    Let me clarify - Jason Burton doesn't say to use wadcutter feed lipped mags and neither does Hilton Yam. However, Jason Burton has recommended Wilson 47's and Hilton Yam has recommended CMC PowerMags, and both mags use wadcutter feed lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    CMC Power Mags have bases the same width as the tube.
    They do, but they aren't an extended tube like the ETM's. The PowerMag has the same tube length as the 47D. The CMC RPM mags are extended tube mags and they have a flared base pad.

I am not shooting enough .45s to have a handle on durability of Power Mags. I think the RPM is the way to go if the OP can put up with the wide base and need of a loader for the stiff spring.
    Of course if he wants to cut down on loading time at the range he can just accumulate more of whatever magazine is closest to his likes and load them at home. I do.

I like the extinct CMC XP 10x9mm magazines but I have had misfeeds from one lately.
    I ironed out the splayed lips but still got a malfunction in the Colt, it has gone 5 cycles in the Springfield.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

I like the extinct CMC XP 10x9mm magazines but I have had misfeeds from one lately.
    This reminds me of what seems to be the only downside of Wilson's acquisition of CMC and that is they don't have a full listing of replacement parts for the CMC mags that used to be offered at the old CMC website.

One for instance was there used to be a delineation of the PowerMag spring and follower and the spring and follower for the Shooting Star mags. I realized the followers were the same, but McCormick used to make a big deal about how good, and better the PowerMag spring was than their standard spring. Now there is just a spring and follower listed and nothing seems to be special about the spring/follower replacements.

One advantage to Wilson Combat is there is almost always replacement parts available. If you don't like the polymer followers, or if you think the springs go bad to fast, at least there is a ready source for replacements. Trying to find other springs and especially followers for other mags is not often easy.

User Tag List