Thread: 1911 Extended Slide Stop

Site Supporter

1911 Extended Slide Stop

I did a quick search and couldn’t find this question, so I thought I would ask it here. I have a few 9mm 1911’s and would prefer an extended slide stop, to accommodate my stubby thumbs. I know there are techniques, i.e. support hand manipulation of the slide stop, that would not necessitate an equipment change, but I would prefer to keep my manual of arms consistent across the different guns I shoot.

Is there a preferred brand of extended slide stop that is more or less drop in ready? I ordered one from Fusion that said it was 9mm compatible, but the cut out for the slide to travel down the slide stop is way to short, and the slide will not reciprocate. If this is a component of the 1911 that pretty much requires a level of gunsmithing to get functional, I would like to know before I order anymore parts.

I looked at the options from Wilson Combat, and they are a little short for my liking, I would prefer an extended slide stop a bit more, extended.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The problem with extended slide stops is the support hand thumb, and sometimes even the strong hand thumb has a tendency to hit them and cause them not to lock back the slide. Or another problem is because of the extra weight, they can lock back the slide under recoil.
    At least that has been my experience with them.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Any slide stop may need fitting to your gun. That's the reality of most 1911 parts, and this one is no exception. It may need work to get it installed, and in my experience I've needed to file on one to get it to stop locking back early due to contact with the bullets moving up in the mag.

The extended slide stop presents an additional fitment issue, which is that its extended arm needs to fit around the left grip panel. I got one for free in a box of other stuff recently and experimented with it just out of curiosity. I had to relieve the inside of the extended arm just to get it to install because it was contacting the grips before seating in the frame. I could see it causing holster fit issues for the same reason.

I also found that it messed with my support grip. It sticks out a good ways from the frame because of that need to get around the grips. As a result, I had the thing interfering with my left hand's contact with the gun. Instant hate, back in the parts bin, not for me.

I would recommend Wilson just because that's who offers them and has a reputation for decent parts in general. Keep in mind they have two styles - the Bullet Proof line "semi extended" and the longer (and cheaper) non-Bullet Proof branded part.

At the end of the day I don't "need" one because with my long digits I can just barely, but reliably, release the slide stop with my right thumb with no more shifting of the gun than is required to hit the mag release. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd avoid the extended stops and drop the slide using my left thumb.

Don't do it. You'll be sorry.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List