Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Old School Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (Hey, that might be the one I traded in in 1995. I want it back. )
    Heh. This one came circuitously from grandpa, who apparently bought it new. I bought a damaged hammer off of eBay, fitted and bobbed it.
    Did yours have a smooth or grooved trigger?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Heh. This one came circuitously from grandpa, who apparently bought it new. I bought a damaged hammer off of eBay, fitted and bobbed it.
    Did yours have a smooth or grooved trigger?
    From recollection, I think it was smooth. (It's been a while.)

I bought it at Jovino's in NYC in the early 80's when I hired on my first federal LE job.

Several years later, my partner bobbed it a year or two prior to my trading it in.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

S&W Model 10 with 2"-4" pencil barrel on the belt and a .38 J-frame or .32 I-frame/H&R snub (revolver) or Baby Browning .25 variant (auto) in the pocket. Possibly a .25 Beretta Bobcat instead of the Browning.

If I have to fill the categories:

Service auto larger than 9mm - 1911 with decent sights or a S&W model 439 with the guarded rear sight and trigger job

Revolver larger than .38 Special up to .44-40 - If wanting big, S&W model 28 or 58. Charter Arms Bulldog if going small

Revolver of .45 caliber or larger. - Ruger Vaquero, old model

I haven’t been able to get away from revolvers for several years. My current carry revolver is my new to me S&W M19-4 2.5”. I also carry a M642 in my jacket, depending on the weather. All revolvers get carried with Remington Golden Saber .38 +P rounds.

Honestly, I’d love to sell my semiautomatics. The hassle of advertising them and shipping, along with laziness, keeps them in my safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Revolver .38 Special or smaller

Usually a 3-4" K frame loaded with .38s. Occasionally a J frame; just got done with yard work and am carrying my 642-2.
    I realized I didn't include an autoloader.

Service auto larger than 9mm: Colt Series 70 Gubmint Model with a GI NM barrel and Bo-Mar rear sight...and no mag well.

ETA: ...and seven-round mags with Pachmayr base pads.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I miraculously survived the weekend with just a 442 and five FMJs. Does that count?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

My first off-duty carry gun; a S&W Mod 36 (circa 1977).

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I haven’t been able to get away from revolvers for several years. My current carry revolver is my new to me S&W M19-4 2.5”. I also carry a M642 in my jacket, depending on the weather. All revolvers get carried with Remington Golden Saber .38 +P rounds.

Honestly, I’d love to sell my semiautomatics. The hassle of advertising them and shipping, along with laziness, keeps them in my safe.
    That’s going all in.

Admittedly, as someone that wouldn’t require shipping, I’m mildly curious.

Old school for me would mean a revolver of some sort. Too many good 10 rd. auto loaders out there to mess with that.

I have some revolvers that I could carry, because I like revolvers, but not for carry.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post

I feel the same way. I have some pistols (no revolvers) that take up space in my safe. I'm not selling any of those because of the draconian state laws and shipping costs. In this state everything goes through an FFL which is $50. I just use $100 dollars as a base cost to buy or sell a firearm. I'm not paying rent on any of those so they sit in my safe. If a relative wants something in there I'll just gift it to them.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List