Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New RCS holster... Side car style

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    As mentioned there are a lot of rigid ones. But in my view - yes (some) flexibility is a feature not a bug.

I was discussing with another PF'er yesterday and we both agreed that the 5-Shot SME is the most comfortable AIWB holster either of us have tried. And that includes a lot of holsters from RCS, JMCK, DSG, etc. Each of those holsters is different and distinct, yet the SME somehow manages to eclipse them all in terms of comfort. Though the SME is a fairly stiff holster, it still has flexibility to it that aids comfort and concealment.
    There is something to be said for the roundness of the curves of leather. The trailing lever on the SME also works VERY well, but is hard to replicate in plastic in a manner that's durable.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    There is something to be said for the roundness of the curves of leather. The trailing lever on the SME also works VERY well, but is hard to replicate in plastic in a manner that's durable.
    Just curious, something that could be done with a disposable/replaceable piece?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Just curious, something that could be done with a disposable/replaceable piece?

Jason
    I would do it with a more expensive piece that was unique to the holster it attaches to. When we made the Dark Wing, while it wasn't the largest investment, sales of the wing to other holster makers helped make that happen. An IM component unique to our products wasn't as financially feasible then. It is now though, so... What do you carry?
    Dark Star Gear

I would do it with a more expensive piece that was unique to the holster it attaches to. When we made the Dark Wing, while it wasn't the largest investment, sales of the wing to other holster makers helped make that happen. An IM component unique to our products wasn't as financially feasible then. It is now though, so... What do you carry?
    A Glock (either a 19 w/ scs or 26 right now, I’m trying to weasel a 47 from work) in a 17 length Orion. Also a lcr Apollo.
    I also use a velo 4 and jmck. Was asking out of curiosity.

Jason

Indeed. Which is not a knock on kydex or plastic products. An SME is 8000% overkill for a J-Frame. A DSG Apollo on the other hand is perfect.

I think the long and short (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) is that not only does each user have a preference, each firearm is different in terms of its weight distribution, COG, length, width, etc. It is all but impossible to make the perfect holster for every potential setup.

Which, ostensibly, is the goal of this additive manufactured RCS rig, that they can rapidly tailor holsters to meet differing demands. Only time and end user experience will determine if they are successful in that regard.

--

So kydex SME when?

Site Supporter
    This is a pretty interesting concept. Thread drift, but can you go into more depth about the differences between the trailing lever on the SME vs the trailing lever on Kydex wing based holsters? Both are the same type of lever to my eye, is the difference that the SME lever can be longer than a darkwing/modwing without the risk of the wing cracking the holster body?

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    This is a pretty interesting concept. Thread drift, but can you go into more depth about the differences between the trailing lever on the SME vs the trailing lever on Kydex wing based holsters? Both are the same type of lever to my eye, is the difference that the SME lever can be longer than a darkwing/modwing without the risk of the wing cracking the holster body?
    Correct. The other thing the SME does that people mess up with when using plastic is the backside of the lever rests against the body, preventing over-rotation.

DSG, being in a different position, and technology being different and more affordable, can now try an idea we had years ago but couldn't reliable market. I've got a boatload on my plate, and this isn't a discussion thread for DSG stuff, so anyone who's interested pester me and I'll work a thing up to try.
    Dark Star Gear

anyone who's interested pester me and I'll work a thing up to try.
    Consider yourself pestered. Do you want weekly, daily, or hourly pestering? I am just a giant 3 year old so I am good at pestering!

Correct. The other thing the SME does that people mess up with when using plastic is the backside of the lever rests against the body, preventing over-rotation.

DSG, being in a different position, and technology being different and more affordable, can now try an idea we had years ago but couldn't reliable market. I've got a boatload on my plate, and this isn't a discussion thread for DSG stuff, so anyone who's interested pester me and I'll work a thing up to try.
    I pester you too much about ether things 😄 but I'm interested

I started another thread in the DSG sub forum.

Jason

User Tag List