Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: New RCS holster... Side car style

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I still contest the manufacturing process is still irrelevant to the end user. How does this benefit me? The argument is that they can create any configuration at a lower tool up cost than injection molding. Cool - then why aren't those savings being passed on to the consumer as this thing is still $200. The is the similar argument they made with the Perun and its price reflected those savings. Something seems rotten in the state of Denmark.
    It doesn't benefit you.

Theoretically, the ability to scale from prototype to production in hours or days is great for rapidly responding to a changing market and demands. If new guns dropped every single day and they all needed holsters this would be great for you the consumer...IF...Bespoke holster makers did not exist. But they do exist, in plethora. And they make better quality products at lower prices.

This structure is not a benefit to civilian consumers. Actually, seeing the ad copy and what RCS is saying has made it clear to me what this is...it's a sales pitch for agency level contracts. You need to be able to show rapid production capabilities and ability to flexibly pivot as a vendor on DoD and especially DARPA contracts. And additive manufacturing gives you that flexibility.

It doesn't appeal to consumers in many respects - because you're able to acquire bespoke products at good prices and usually decent time line. You also have the luxury to wait. But someone who needs 20,000 units NEXT WEEK can't call Milt Sparks.

Which means for this product to succeed on the civilian market - there needs to be a compelling argument as to its superiority to pre-existing products to include bespoke holsters. Perhaps RCS is revealing those strengths in their private social interaction page. I wouldn't know, because I'm not paying for membership to the RCS social club.

Site Supporter
    Ramble follows:

I wish RCS nothing but great success in this endeavor. The market will speak on this with great clarity.

A sweet spot for many quality KYDEX holsters (left/right, optic/no optic, light/no light) is 100ish shipped.

in the early-mid 2000's, RCS was on the cutting edge of mass produced, concealable kydex and many folks had shallower learning curves as a result of their products then and to to date. They may be cutting edge again with a successful 3D-offering

Here is the thing about your 100.00 kydex holster and your 35.00 mag carrier- they work great right up until the time they crack. And they all crack, sooner or later. Use, abuse, and occasionally, poor workmanship. Some of you will make a warranty claim, many will not as they have carried the holster for years with thousands of presentations etc.

If this is a product that works for you at 170 with the discount and will not crack relative to kydex such that its life is much longer (as most injection molded stuff is relative to kydex), the value proposition become better.

Holster type and position are extremely personal. I remain stunned by the adamancy of folks, built just like me ( 6' 3' 205 ish, 44l, 34-36/34) who say they cannot conceal a G19 in casual clothes that are not insanely oversized.

Another mild irony is how many folks in our community are virulently capitialist, unless it involves spending their own money and then they think folks should give their products away, nevermind the time, talent and treasure that went into developing the product. In short, a company owes us no duty to pass savings on if the market will otherwise bear a higher price. It is often good business that they do, but in the end, the market will bear what the market bears and we get a vote with our "checkbook."
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 04-25-2024 at 02:17 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

It's an interesting design. I guess time will tell if the 3d printed material has the same longevity as Kydex/Boltaron, or injection-molded designs.

I like what they've done for the spare mag, it overlaps behind the gun, in a way you can't really do with traditional designs. This appears to serve the function of the "hump" or "extra tuck" options we see with JMCK & Tenicor. Brilliant. That'll be nice for those who want a spare mag integrated with the holster (I'm not one of those, however).

They sure do like their Raven Hook clips, don't they? I do not. I have discovered through training that they are weak.

If there was a way to switch them out with DCC clips or struts with fixed soft loops (my preferrence) that's be cool. And a way to adjust mounting height would appeal to many.

Looks to me like it's absolutely optics capable, at least with an RMR footprint type. Big plus there.

Nice smooth contours on the inboard side, looks very comfortable. Full sweat guard is good too, as it should be.

Looks decent, but I can't see what this does that my trusty JMCK AIWB, which I bought here from Cool Breeze a few years ago, that I carry in every day, doesn't already do.

User Tag List