Thread: J-frame Clipdraw on a K-frame

J-frame Clipdraw on a K-frame

Why not?

Clipdraw does not make one for a K-frame, but I had a spare J-frame model, so I tried it. It seems to fit decently.

My only concern is the supplied screw that replaces the OEM plate screw. Do the K-frame and the J-frame use the same screw pitch there?
    the blued screw I used seemed to thread in smoothly, but if it's a different pitch I need to rethink this.

Photo proof, J-frame clipdraw on my PSA surplus 3" K-frame

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Do the K-frame and the J-frame use the same screw pitch there?
    the blued screw I used seemed to thread in smoothly, but if it's a different pitch I need to rethink this.
    If the question is specifically about thread pitch so you don't strip anything...

For current production guns? Yes. The round head plate screw is the same J/K/L/N. I believe they use 2 of these now and have stopped using the flat head screw.

For your pre-1982 (pinned barrel) gun? Maybe. Read Hondo's post carefully. Depending on that "J-frame" clipdraw screw it may be #3-48 or it may match the K's #5-44 depending on when it was made.

I read Hondo's post carefully, thank you.

this gun is a 10-7, which is certainly post war, and the J-frame uses the same screw since about 1980.

So I conclude that yes, they do use the same screw.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I read Hondo's post carefully, thank you.

this gun is a 10-7, which is certainly post war, and the J-frame uses the same screw since about 1980.

So I conclude that yes, they do use the same screw.
    If your clipdraw and screw were made after some indeterminate period in the 80s, that would be my understanding as well. I would still put the OEM screw and the clipdraw screw side by side under a loupe or magnifying glass and compare to be sure. But I don't know when your clipdraw was made. If it's recent manufacture then it's probably a safe bet.

An aftermarket part made on (randomly guessing) May 12, 1983 would probably still target the old thread pitch, since on that date there are only a few guns with the new #5-44s and decades of old guns with the old #3-48s. In the pre-internret era it could take years for it to filter out that the change even happened.

To me, it seems as though that is a fair bit of weight, torquing and pulling on that tiny screw.
    Taking a break from social media.

I might look at this, as my current holster make the grip on my K frame 66-8 ride too high for my comfort.

I have a 242 that I used a Clipdraw on for a while; worked well.

User Tag List