Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good article by a sociopath in this weekend’s WSJ

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    1) why is it we have “good” mental health problems that deserve our help, patience, and sympathy (depression, autism, anxiety, eating disorders) and “bad” that deserve our derision? If it's all mental “health” then shouldn't it'll be treated the same?
    Help, patience, and sympathy towards a sociopath is highly likely to make you their next victim.

That's probably why.
    3/15/2016

Being a Sociopath is not a mental illness. It is a lifestyle choice. It can't be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    He'd probably tell you that a sociopath playing for the sympathy and understanding they will never give you is right on course for what you should expect from them.
    Yeah.

I’m sure glad I had a chance to take his class.

(and don't get me started on public school teachers doing it to kids)…
    I know you don’t want me to get you started, but have you seen this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Therapy-K...ast_author_mpb

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Being a Sociopath is not a mental illness. It is a lifestyle choice. It can't be fixed.
    I’d only quibble in saying that it’s a choice. I do believe that there is a nature component to some of this. I agree that it can’t be fixed, only mitigated. JMO, OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Sorry if you've shared this elsewhere…

1) what are your credentials that lead you to this statement?
    2) if it's a “choice” shouldn't one be able to “fix” it?

ETA:
    I can see where someone might not want to fix it. If, as so,e folks would have people believe, many successful people are sociopaths, then there would likely be many incentives to say “broken”.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I know you don’t want me to get you started, but have you seen this book?

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Therapy-Kids-Arent-Growing-ebook/dp/B0CBYHTV2D?ref_=ast_author_mpb[/url
    My wife actually sent me this clip a few weeks back

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

My wife actually sent me this clip a few weeks back

As a guy who works with a lot of 1st year college students, I think she’s on to something. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    As a guy who works with a lot of 1st year college students, I think she’s on to something. JMO.
    I'm a bit of an economics/sociology/psychology… fan? Enthusiast? Idk the right word but I find it all very interesting. Think Freakonomics / Angela Duckworth / Adam Grant / Black Swan / Malcolm Gladwell / Nudge…

Anywho, perhaps it's confirmation bias but I think that a lot of the current group-think is being challenged / debunked. Much like the current “generation” have moved away from things like Freud and personality tests, the next gen seems to be uncovering some rather inconvenient truths, particularly around topics like race and gender and government-employee overreach (teachers, social workers, etc) that are going to be very difficult to get people to hear.

When you couple the economics of incentives with the randomness of black swans and the people we’ve entrusted our children to (not to mention the dietary industrial complex) there both seems to be no immediate hope but the potential for a long-term turnaround.

Assuming it doesn't just descend into Idiocracy.

One fun factivebeen seeingcroo up lately, millenials are on average better off financially than either boomers or Xers were at their age. What, then, of all this angst and “blaming” everyone that came before them? Perhaps that was all being manufacturered via social e entertainment (it's hardly media, just ask Zuckerberg) to sell soap? And pills?

My wife and I found this book to be pretty readable and useful. It helped clarify that a toxic person we were dealing with actually is a sociopath nd gave some insight to dealing with said person.

https://www.amazon.com/Sociopath-Nex.../dp/0767915828

More correctly, it's not really a lifestyle choice, rather a fixed and essentially immutable personality disorder, also referred to as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

It's true as you say, that "it can't be fixed", though. It's not amenable to treatment, that is, treatment in the sense of relieving and correcting it, rather it can merely be "worked around" by the person who has it, in order to give the appearance of normalcy in personal interactions.

It's common to describe people with an illness as "suffering from" that illness, but in the case of sociopathy, it's not at all clear that suffering is actually involved, except in the sense and to the degree that the sociopath may be frustrated in getting what he wants.

It's been my longstanding observation that sociopathy has been steadily, and lately also rapidly, increasing in Western society, ever since perhaps the end of WWII.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Sorry if you've shared this elsewhere…

1) what are your credentials that lead you to this statement?
    2) if it's a “choice” shouldn't one be able to “fix” it?

ETA:
    I can see where someone might not want to fix it. If, as so,e folks would have people believe, many successful people are sociopaths, then there would likely be many incentives to say “broken”.
    My personal creds are only to have a family member that is a sociopath. We had to completely dis-associate from this toxic person.

My wife has the creds. 30+ years as a mental health professional with the last 20 years as a mental health NP in a medium security state prison. She's seen some personality disorders.

@SAWBONES made a good post about "fixing it".

User Tag List