Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated 1911 Category?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm a no. P-F is in a lane that works for it, with a minimum of derpitude. Yes, some threads keep fairly deep into the weeds of specific models, but this place is more about carrying and shooting the damn things.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    What are your opinions on PF having a dedicated 1911 category within the Semi-Auto Pistol category? I guess that could lead some people to clamor for having dedicated manufacturer categories, which may or may not lead to a smelly bucket of dead fish!
    No.

P-F is for “students and teachers of the pistol.” Meaning as much as we might like straying into hardware discussions, this place is supposed to be about “software” I.e. shooting and how to shoot better, not hardware.

There are several 1911 specific websites and they tend to be full of bad info from gun fondlers beating their chests about “50 flawless rounds” and “idiot marks” like guns were faberge eggs instead of tools.

Hard no on this from me for all the reasons previously stated.

My $0.02.

Nope!

Site Supporter

1911 Clarification

To add some clarification to my post. I think PF is a terrific site. It contains loads of information on a variety of topics. In the two years I've been a member I've learned a great deal about various guns, shooting, shooting techniques, and the list goes on. Every time I posted a question here I received several thoughtful responses, and I'm thankful for that. I know this site has numerous members who know a great deal about pistols, shooting, etc. I thought I'd pose the question regarding having a dedicated 1911 category on PF because I think the members here would do a more comprehensive job of discussing the 1911 in every respect than the 1911 Forum and 1911 Addicts websites!

[QUOTE=Danko;1563542]To add some clarification to my post. I think PF is a terrific site. It contains loads of information on a variety of topics. In the two years I've been a member I've learned a great deal about various guns, shooting, shooting techniques, and the list goes on. Every time I posted a question here I received several thoughtful responses, and I'm thankful for that. I know this site has numerous members who know a great deal about pistols, shooting, etc. I thought I'd pose the question regarding having a dedicated 1911 category on PF because I think the members here would do a more comprehensive job of discussing the 1911 in every respect than the 1911 Forum and 1911 Addicts websites![/QUOTE]

We already do that without specific categories.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

We already do that without specific categories.
    And it's not like the semi-automatic pistols category is flooded with so much 1911 content that it's overwhelming the other stuff. The "Art & Science" 1911 thread seems to cover a majority of the general technical questions, and throwing up a thread on a specific firearm will net one enough attention to help get stuff worked out. There's even a 1911 specific thread in the Gallery for those who want to show off.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    To add some clarification to my post. I think PF is a terrific site. It contains loads of information on a variety of topics. In the two years I've been a member I've learned a great deal about various guns, shooting, shooting techniques, and the list goes on. Every time I posted a question here I received several thoughtful responses, and I'm thankful for that. I know this site has numerous members who know a great deal about pistols, shooting, etc. I thought I'd pose the question regarding having a dedicated 1911 category on PF because I think the members here would do a more comprehensive job of discussing the 1911 in every respect than the 1911 Forum and 1911 Addicts websites!
    ...and that's true.

But to be fair, that applies to most pistol types, and not just the 1911. You can ask a question on p-f relating to almost anything and get a concise answer from someone here with deep and broad knowledge on that gun. It's one of the great things about this forum, in particular.

On topic, to your question, no, I would not support a 1911-specific subforum, for the many reasons outlined above. @HCM's reminder that this forum is for "teachers and students of the pistol" is spot on.

As a lover of most things 1911, I’m a no.

PF is a fantastic forum for open discussion of all pistols and 1911’s. We are free to openly critique all things related to pistols, techniques etc

Dedicated 1911 forums, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more "no" for the vote.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List