Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety, No Safety, Safety Ignored?

Safety, No Safety, Safety Ignored?

I was looking at a new hideout gun, the Shield Plus .30 can be had lots cheaper than 9mm and holds twice the ammo of my present PRs. But the sale item has a manual safety.

At present I may be found with a G43, no safety; or a LC9s with safety I do not use because it has a looong DAO and I just treat it like a box magazine Chief.

What of the ones like Shield and P365 that swing both ways with short trigger stroke? Ignore the safety on a version so equipped? They aren't very handy.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I ignored the safety on my Shield 1.0 except for administrative handling. At least with my 365 I can holster it on safe and then move the safety lever to "fire" once holstered. Couldn't do that with the Shield 1.0.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The P365 has a thumb safety that you can actually use.

The Shields really don't. I wouldn't ignore a safety, either, because I don't want the safety of a gun whose safety I ignore to work its way into the, "ON" position. And now I have a gun in my hand that won't go boom because I lever I've never trained to use is in the wrong position and now I have to figure this out, "on the clock".

I would skip any pistol with a thumb safety I cannot use easily.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Site Supporter
    If you do not plan on using the safety, get a version without the safety. At some point, that safety will be in a position you do not expect. If you habitually deactivate the safety, it is no big deal. If not, that can be a bigger problem.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you do not plan on using the safety, get a version without the safety. At some point, that safety will be in a position you do not expect. If you habitually deactivate the safety, it is no big deal. If not, that can be a bigger problem.
    Yes Bill nailed it. You will not be prepared to deal with an activated safety (however it got there) at the absolute wrong time. Mr. Murphy is an unforgiving SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The P365 has a thumb safety that you can actually use.

The Shields really don't. I wouldn't ignore a safety, either, because I don't want the safety of a gun whose safety I ignore to work its way into the, "ON" position. And now I have a gun in my hand that won't go boom because I lever I've never trained to use is in the wrong position and now I have to figure this out, "on the clock".

I would skip any pistol with a thumb safety I cannot use easily.
    This is why I no longer own a CZ75. Great shooting pistol, but the safety was almost unusable with my medium sized hands. In order to disengage the safety, I had to change the hand position.

My current main carry is a Max 9, with the safety, which is on.

A number of striker pistols with a thumb safety can have the safety removed, if you are getting the pistol for a better price and want to mess with it.

If my pistol has a thumb safety, I want to use it, for the reasons described above. At this point, I can't think of any pistol with a thumb safety that isn't a 1911/2011 that I enjoy the thumb safety ergonomics of.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I view use of a manual safety if present as absolutely mandatory - safety is pushed to “on” every time the muzzle comes off target and out of a firing position. I will not own or use guns with manual safeties I’m not willing to do that with as “serious” guns (examples include unmodified safety-equipped Shields and DA/SA or DAO guns with safeties). For what it’s worth, I treat hunting and clays shotguns the same way.

Also, one of our own members has developed an aftermarket safety for the Shield that makes it work like a 1911 (i.e. the way Smith would have made it if they knew what they were doing). @UNK.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I wouldn't ignore a safety, either, because I don't want the safety of a gun whose safety I ignore to work its way into the, "ON" position.
    This, 100% this.

My ex started edc with a Kahr, then went to the Shield. One night as she pulled her holstered Shield from AIWB and set it on the coffee table, I pointed out the safety was engaged and asked her how long it had been that way. She blanched and answered, "I don't know."

We were both happier when she traded it for a Glock 42.

At least with my 365 I can holster it on safe and then move the safety lever to "fire" once holstered.

That is what I have been doing with the LC9s, but IAW the Sense of the Board, I will hold out for a naked Shield 30, if any.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List