Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety, No Safety, Safety Ignored?

Site Supporter

LC9s

I own an LC9s and find it's manual safety very well designed. It's quite difficult to inadvertently turn the safety on or off, particularly off. Turning the safety on can easily be done quickly with the thumb of the shooting hand, but requires me to shift my grip in order to turn the safety on. To me this safety design is perfect!

I put the Unk safety on both my Shields, and like them so far.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you do not plan on using the safety, get a version without the safety. At some point, that safety will be in a position you do not expect. If you habitually deactivate the safety, it is no big deal. If not, that can be a bigger problem.
    ^^^This. I had a Shadow2 TS get pushed on accidentally on a big field stage at a major match. I treated it as a FTF/stuck round malfunction because it didn't remotely occur to me what had happened. Fucking disaster pointswise, and I hurt my hand trying to clear the "malfunction". I had never one time used the TS on a Shadow2 in >100k rounds. If I could remove those safeties, I would. Instead, I now have extra power TS springs, which are a huge PIA to install but make it much harder to flip on.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Great topic. I’m not consistent going back and forth with safety and pistols with no safety. Turns out, I can’t keep em straight if I induce any stress shooting. I do better with similar manual of arms. Thumb rides the safety automatically.

I specifically bought a P365 with a manual safety. But, as previously mentioned, the 365's safety is useable. Being around and carrying firearms for about 20 years now I really like the idea of having something more than just 5 lbs of pressure between me and the gun going off. Either a manual safety, A long trigger travel like a DA, or at the very least a striker control device like what's available for Glocks. I think the HK LEM system is ideal but most of the market doesn't seem to think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I view use of a manual safety if present as absolutely mandatory - safety is pushed to “on” every time the muzzle comes off target and out of a firing position. I will not own or use guns with manual safeties I’m not willing to do that with as “serious” guns (examples include unmodified safety-equipped Shields and DA/SA or DAO guns with safeties). For what it’s worth, I treat hunting and clays shotguns the same way.

Also, one of our own members has developed an aftermarket safety for the Shield that makes it work like a 1911 (i.e. the way Smith would have made it if they knew what they were doing). @UNK.
    Thanks for the mention Elwin.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I put the Unk safety on both my Shields, and like them so far.
    Thanks Joe in PNG They have been popular outside of PF too. Ive handled every email inquiry for my buddies business, it has been an interesting and enlightening endeavour.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List