Thread: What front sight is on this 6” Model 28?

What front sight is on this 6” Model 28?

Does anyone recognize this front sight? AFAIK it should be a Baughmann ramp.

Name:  IMG_0166.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  99.6 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    It looks like it used to be a Baughman ramp until someone filed/machined most of the ramp off. I've never seen a M28 with those pins, might be an early one. It's obviously got some miles on it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Thanks! The pins are throwing me as well. I thought the original might have been replaced with a base for a target sight or something.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'd speculate it was originally a Patridge sight someone rounded to keep from cutting leather with each draw.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! The pins are throwing me as well. I thought the original might have been replaced with a base for a target sight or something.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the double pins were used on the S&W windage adjustable front sights but obviously that isn't one. Changed base might be a good guess though.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I've seen the dual pins on several N-frames and pre-N frame 38/44's. I had a 4" no-dash M28 that had the dual pins with the standard ramp. Sometimes the pins are left domed like the pins in the picture above, other times they're filed flush and polished to the point that it is difficult to locate where the pins are; for example, I have a 3.5" Model 27-2 that has a replacement gold bead front sight and the two sight pins can be seen because whoever replaced the sight didn't take the time to blend them into the sight base like S&W did at the factory.

User Tag List