Thread: Dot for ruger mkiv

Dot for ruger mkiv

What dot would you recommend for a ruger mk iv? It’s outfitted with just a Picatinny take on top. I feel like for a low recoil 22 and non reciprocating slide it wouldn’t need to be top of the line duty optic but I also want something that will be somewhat quality and not just crap out after a while. Name:  IMG_3775.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  13.5 KB

I have that exact pistol. I wanted a lower profile so went with a dedicated mount and a Vortex Viper I had lying around.

Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My son and I have been using the Riton MPRD for several years now for steel challenge. One shown is the original with intensity buttons, the other is auto adjust (v2).

Zero problems.

Name:  20230421_092547.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  80.9 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    What dot would you recommend for a ruger mk iv? It’s outfitted with just a Picatinny take on top.
    Not so much an optic suggestion, but reiterating that there is a plethora, Pepe (Three Amigos movie reference...) of fantastic mounts that do not perch the thing all the way up on top of that Pic rail.

One thing I just remembered - Ruger changed the hole pattern on these, the mount needs to be specific to the pistol model. I’ll look for the info, I kind of forgot it after I mounted up mine.

Edit - found it! https://www.ruckermachine.com/produc...v-optics-mount
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Red dots are mass produced, man-made electronic items so the odds they will eventually die are greater than zero. Maybe after 15 minutes, maybe after 15 years but the electronic Grim Reaper WILL eventually make his rounds. I had an early Holosun with wonky controls right out of the box that otherwise lasted for 18-24 months before dying and I've got a 20+ year old BSA that still works IF I remember to change the battery and get the contacts in the right place.

Do you want open or closed emitter? Make that decision then decide your budget.

So far I've used Bushnell (open emitter), early Vortex (Viper or Venom? Can't recall), Primary Arms tubes and SIG (Romeo 5) on my fun guns without an issue. Granted most have low round counts because I simply don't have the time to shoot as much as I used to. I've read good reports on the Riton as mentioned above, early Swampfox (seems there's been some changes and they may have dropped the ball) and Gideon Optics.

Crimson Trace is an unknown quantity to me. Their lasers have a good reputation, 22Plinkster had them as a sponsor but I vaguely recall reading they weren't great. It's been a while so I have forgotten the details and context but it's worth digging around for.

Airsoft quality brands like Sightmark or Monstrum are going to be a crapshoot, especially coming from Amazon. You pays your money, you takes your chances.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    One thing I just remembered - Ruger changed the hole pattern on these, the mount needs to be specific to the pistol model. I’ll look for the info, I kind of forgot it after I mounted up mine.

Edit - found it! https://www.ruckermachine.com/produc...v-optics-mount
    Thank you for that I did not know the hole pattern was different

Any "dot" will do the job, but the first thing I'd do is to get rid of the pic rail.

I have a MkII with a Vortex Venom on a rail. I didn't know Ruger made a new mount. I don't thing they made those 4 years ago when I converted my MKII. I would defiantly go with the new mount. Rails are cheap though. I think Ruger gave me one when I had them driil and tap the barrel.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-16-2024 at 11:07 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by RUT View Post
    Any "dot" will do the job, but the first thing I'd do is to get rid of the pic rail.
    Agreed. I ordered one of the mounts that heavyduty linked and a primary arms slx rs10 which is a preorder right now but, I think that will be a decent setup.
    Thanks to everyone who responded

User Tag List