Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drills and Tests to Assess Pistol Shootability

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I hope this hasn't been done before, but it's ya'll's fault anyway with threads touting both the Macro and Gen 5 G26.

I am trying diligently to pare things down to one carry pistol. I would really love to get to a place where I am carrying the same pistol (almost) all the time regardless of the setting. My goal is to identify the pistol that gives me the best performance in *my* hands (and/or understand where a particular pistol gives up some performance in comparison to others). Given that the intent is for this pistol will be a do-all defensive rig, I would like to be able to test performance metrics that cover both speed and accuracy, as well as the combination of the two.

So the question is what are some drills, tests, and assessments that can be run to objectively quantify performance across various pistols? The F.A.S.T. comes to mind, but surely there are others. If it matters, the focus for the use case is exclusively defensive shooting (as opposed to gaming or anything else). In other words, I'm trying to identify the pistol that I shoot best in any scenario from an attempted mugging/carjacking in the Walmart parking lot, to putting one across the bow of a 200 pound rottie charging across the lawn (or bear charging down the trail if that makes you feel better). It would be super if we could start to get a pretty good assessment with 50 - 100 rounds of ammo per pistol. That's it. Let me have it! TIA.
    @John Hearne and I are working on this issue right now. We‘ll each probably be publishing something soon.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    @John Hearne and I are working on this issue right now. We‘ll each probably be publishing something soon.
    That is great to hear! Hopefully it won't be PF SoonTM...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    My favorite is the Five Yard Roundup. It tests four different skills in ten rounds. In terms of assessing pistol shootability, it tests how well the pistol comes up and indexes, how it handles repeated rounds, and how well it shoots in either hand. I've changed the backstraps on my M&Ps based on how they shoot one-handed in this drill.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Heh,... and therein lies (part) of the problem. I've read your postings re: the Macro and was all set to grab one. (The Macro seems like a *great* One Gun option.) But, then I got to really looking at things and I can comfortably carry and conceal a G19 sized grip - and I've got a few in that size range. So I thought I should look at the performance metrics on those before I go chasing after another shiny thing. (G43X was the last shiny thing I chased... and caught.) And the nut of the question (and I would pose this directly to you, GJM) is - if you *knew* you were going to be in a pistol fight at dusk today, in unspecified circumstances, what concealable pistol would you choose? That is the question I seek to answer for myself. What concealable pistol can I shoot the best- across all performance metrics? I'd like to pin down that pistol that I am already best with, and then train up from there - if that makes sense.

Also, you (GJM) are an above-average shooter and can probably use an LCP to outshoot most people who are using the pistol of their choice. I think that for the rest of us mortals, the pistol may make a bigger difference perhaps? I get around okay, but I can also use all the help I can get.

ETA: Totally with you on the grip angle thing. I shot Glocks exclusively for the last 30 years, but more recently got a PDP which I am trying to learn to love. That would make the Macro a good fit - but if can run the PDP measurably better than everything else, I would just deal with the size/concealability issues.
    As long as it is reliable, I don't think the pistol makes all that much difference. Recently, I shot the same match on successive days, using my full on Limited Optics 320 on Saturday, and my Macro on Sunday. I shot 90 something percent on Sunday of my Saturday result, first time shooting a match with the 365.

The reason I edc a Macro now, is I am competing with a 320 based gun, and want something that points the same, without being a 320. A Glock or PDP would also be great choices. I will note that I shoot a Macro and 19 about the same, but both better than a 26 because of the longer grips. To restate it, as long as it reliable and has Givens 3 bad guys capacity, I really don't think the gun matters that much. You can waste an awful lot of time and ammunition doing tests that amplify small variations in performance, which could just be random, or you can train up devoting your time and ammo to getting as good as possible with your carry peace.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You can waste an awful lot of time and ammunition doing tests that amplify small variations in performance, which could just be random, or you can train up devoting your time and ammo to getting as good as possible with your carry peace.
    There are some people with really huge hands that have legitimate struggles with a G26 length grip but otherwise yeah.

When I chase personal improvement in drills I do it because otherwise it ceases to be training. I don't really compare it across platforms because I chose the platform for a specific reason, not because of performance.

I think most people are capable of reaching 'doesn't really matter' levels of performance with most quality modern carry pistols and some weird old hipster ones for that matter if they train with focus.

What’s old is new again…

Looking back decades, Cooper wrote about a “Standard Controllability Test, or SCT”. It went something like this: shooter at 25 yards. On signal, “aim in” and fire 5 rounds of “full power” ammo at a 10 inch circle at 25 yards. I’m quoting him from memory: “If all 5 rounds impact in the circle in time, that pistol with that load is controllable by that shooter”(yikes!). Various written accounts suggest multiple successful runs for confirmation. Duty/carry ammo is expensive, so I’d lean towards 4 of 5 runs as an evaluation.
    A few caveats, if you will: 1) there is no mention (as I recall) of running it cold; cold runs show a lot about where the operator is at with the piece and is a “snapshot” of competency, IMHO. 2)Cooper was heavily involved with the Southwest Combat Pistol League and the 1911in .45acp at the time. So, my interpretation is that this was usually run unconcealed, out of a range holster. 3)the art and science of “pistol craft “ has advanced, and the gear more so. And, as said elsewhere, businesses want/need to make money, so that drives some aspects.
    Note I’m a confessed Glock fan and drill/qual nerd. I’d respectfully suggest the following to the OP:
    1)with a nod to @GJM, the OP stated he shot Glocks for years. I think that suggests the 26 is the pick, possibly running mags w/a “+” baseplate.
    2)If the OP has convinced himself he has to compare, run each candidate piece, cold, from personal concealment, on separate days with whatever ammo that will be carried.
    3)With respect to noted teachers like Cooper and Givens, I’d say, if the OP must, run the SCT as above and Givens Baseline Assessment Drill, as stipulated an above.
    And, a little tongue-in-cheek, if I was pretty sure there was a gunfight in the future, I might:
    A)be somewhere else,
    B)have a carbine/rifle and/or shotgun at hand and
    C)try as hard as I could to have some other like minded and equipped friends around!

The Gabe White Standards might be a good option?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-16-2024 at 11:02 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My current cold standards are passing the iHack, VertiHack, and 90% on Prep Time. If I fail, I isolate and work on the component skill.

I need to be able to do that with my carry gun.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm trying to generate content for my upcoming YouTube channel and was comparing different size guns. So far, I've used Five Yard Roundup and Bakersfield on "my" target with the 6" 10 ring and smaller oval. Five yard has a precision draw, a four shot string, and strong and weak hand shooting. Bakersfield emphasizes speed and accuracy and pushes the guns out to 20 yards. If I add anything, it will be a quasi-Bill Drill - draw and see how many points you can get on a B-8 in 3 seconds.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I dunno.

After seeing several body cam videos of cops experiencing stoppages, apparently due to a possible compromised grip acquired during the haste of reacting to a spontaneous threat (according to DB and John Hearne), I'm wary of small, short grip auto pistols.

I bought a .327 Magnum LCR to experiment with and to get experience with a lightweight snub revolver. I've found this revolver easier to carry, comfortably, and to conceal, than a small auto pistol. Loaded with Federal .32 H&R Magnum 85gr JHP ammo, it's pleasant to shoot and achieves adequate penetration. I don't have to worry about a stoppage due to a compromised grip because it's finger powered.

I carry an LCP II .22 LR for backup, a spare magazine, and a speed strip loaded with the Federal .32 HRM for the LCR.

What this boils down to is I'm not sure drills and tests will objectively provide the metrics you're seeking because they're unlikely to reveal the unexpected stoppages we're seeing caused by reaction to real-life spontaneous "OH, FUCK" threats.
    Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 03-18-2024 at 10:44 PM.

User Tag List