Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Arms Solutions video on lineage of modern piston ARs/Caracal 816

Small Arms Solutions video on lineage of modern piston ARs/Caracal 816

Highly technical, dry, and I find it fascinating, like many of you will, I suspect.

#RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thanks for the link. Pretty much everything I have “know” but in one clear and concise video.

My Sig516 has become my favorite 556 AR carbine despite my not intending it to be. Nice to know it won’t get me killed in the streets…..

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks for the link. Pretty much everything I have “know” but in one clear and concise video.

My Sig516 has become my favorite 556 AR carbine despite my not intending it to be. Nice to know it won’t get me killed in the streets…..
    A voice in my head keeps telling me that I need a Caracal carbine...
    #RESIST

For what its worth Battlefield Vegas whom keeps detailed records told me that no piston AR (this was probably 5 years ago and no Idea what models other than HK) had the durability of a DI gun. They said shit broke and was hard to get to replace. (The SCAR 16 was the most durable rifle they had by a margin)

As a side note they ran PSA BCG's (in the AR's) and said the expensive BCM/Colt ones lasted 20%ish longer at twice the price. So they would change at a given round count before problems

The guy I spoke with served in the desert over seas and said all the employees at Battlefield Vegas had personally owned Colt M4's or 10.5-11.5 SBR's based on their experiences working there (and serving).

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    For what its worth Battlefield Vegas whom keeps detailed records told me that no piston AR (this was probably 5 years ago and no Idea what models other than HK) had the durability of a DI gun. They said shit broke and was hard to get to replace. (The SCAR 16 was the most durable rifle they had by a margin)

As a side note they ran PSA BCG's (in the AR's) and said the expensive BCM/Colt ones lasted 20%ish longer at twice the price. So they would change at a given round count before problems

The guy I spoke with served in the desert over seas and said all the employees at Battlefield Vegas had personally owned Colt M4's or 10.5-11.5 SBR's based on their experiences working there (and serving).
    I've served overseas and am still Caracal-curious
    #RESIST

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've served overseas and am still Caracal-curious
    We all have our kink….

My LWRC M6 A5 is a tack driver and hands down my favorite AR but my 516 is a close second. I'd love to continue climbing the evolutionary ladder and get an 816 but since I just dropped a bunch of money on an 11.5" barrel for my MCX that probably won't happen. I'm gratified that the 516 has the barrel extension over the extractor to help prevent the side effects of kabooms, though.

I'm prolly ordering the 11.5" 5.56 upper and the 7.5" .300BO upper.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm prolly ordering the 11.5" 5.56 upper and the 7.5" .300BO upper.
    Don't know if you're aware, but Caracal offers a decent discount over MSRP as part of their pro deal: https://caracalusa.com/cop/

I'm personally not convinced of the merits of the piston system over DI for the AR, and the primary appeal of the HK416 to me is the quality of the barrel and overall build quality rather than the short-stroke piston. With the SIG and Caracal, you lose those benefits.

Also, the .300 BLK Caracal guns only come in DI, not piston, AFAIK.

User Tag List