Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickens you've never heard of.

The neck feathers of jungle cock, called "nails", are used in tying Atlantic salmon flies. The British apparently didn't wait patiently for the many months between the periods when the salmon entered their streams to spawn. And since they (the salmon) rarely or never feed while spawning, the fiies are simply attractors, and not intended to imitate any actual food item.

Thus, with time on their hands, the flies became more and more elaborate, and artistic.

Name:  jungle cock.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  thunder and lightning fly.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  83.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    The neck feathers of jungle cock, called "nails", are used in tying Atlantic salmon flies. The British apparently didn't wait patiently for the many months between the periods when the salmon entered their streams to spawn. And since they (the salmon) rarely or never feed while spawning, the fiies are simply attractors, and not intended to imitate any actual food item.

Thus, with time on their hands, the flies became more and more elaborate, and artistic.
    "Who will help me tie my fly?" said Henny Penny.

Name:  benny-hill.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  46.3 KB

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Which most flies are. Sold to fly casters that think a trout or salmon would really like to make a meal on that fly. I found if you want to actually catch a salmon from the beach where I live you need a flashy spinner. Lots of salmon fishermen here who troll for salmon use yuge flashers ahead of the herring bait.

Last edited by Borderland; 03-14-2024 at 10:16 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    "Who will help me tie my fly?" said Henny Penny.

Name:  benny-hill.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  46.3 KB

Gringop
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is through his fly.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    "Chickens You've Never Heard Of" would be a good name for a band.
    I vote for "Jungle Cock Nails..."

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I vote for "Jungle Cock Nails..."

Gringop
    “Jungle Cock” gave me a good chuckle from an intensionally misquoted “Jungle Rock” call sign memory from some time ago when serving with Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children.

I produce chickens and chicks for sale. Buff Orpingtons and Austrailorps which are both a great breed for eggs and meat. If y’all have any questions regarding chickens, turkeys, geese or ducks give me a holler.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    “Jungle Cock” gave me a good chuckle from an intensionally misquoted “Jungle Rock” call sign memory from some time ago when serving with Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children.

I produce chickens and chicks for sale. Buff Orpingtons and Austrailorps which are both a great breed for eggs and meat. If y’all have any questions regarding chickens, turkeys, geese or ducks give me a holler.
    We've got Buffs, cinnamon queens, Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Marins, Welsummers Americanas and a few others. 18 birds that are strictly for egg production. We have done broilers as well.
    Which, at this point, is out of control. More daylight and warmer temps in NH has them producing a dozen a day or more.
    Hawks, owls, fox, mink/weasels, and coyote are the big problems here. I built a 20x20 chain link enclosure, covered, to protect them. Before that, we were losing a bird a week to some type of predation. The dogs do a good job, but when we're not home.

Name:  _DSC0024.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  PSX_20190202_130629.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  36.0 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    We've got Buffs, cinnamon queens, Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Marins, Welsummers Americanas and a few others. 18 birds that are strictly for egg production. We have done broilers as well.
    Which, at this point, is out of control. More daylight and warmer temps in NH has them producing a dozen a day or more.
    Hawks, owls, fox, mink/weasels, and coyote are the big problems here. I built a 20x20 chain link enclosure, covered, to protect them. Before that, we were losing a bird a week to some type of predation. The dogs do a good job, but when we're not home.

Name:  _DSC0024.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  PSX_20190202_130629.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  36.0 KB

Yeah, we started in 2020 with grand ideas. However we waited just a little too long to show up to the local tractor supply store on first day of chick season. We ended up getting what they had left over which were Golden Comets and a few Wyandottes.

We have since added Buffs, Australorps, Barred Rocks, and more recently a Legbar that we rescued from a family in the county. We also have a couple of homegrown mutts That were born last year.

Name:  20240127_153322.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  79.4 KB

Site Supporter
    T'aint chickens. Emus!

Site Supporter
    Read an article that we should raise pythons for meat as they are very efficient feed to meat converters. Taste like chicken and popular in some countries. That should take care of predators.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List