Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lessons learned with 9mm revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    I've had 1 bullet pulled in about 1,500 rounds of 115 gr. ammo in my LCR, but I've since switched to 147 gr Lawman exclusively with no further issues. I had no drama resolving it, and would compare it to remedial action malfunction clearance in a semi auto. Also, if the gun can be put back into action by the operator, then it isn't deadlined.
    How do you push back the bullet into the case?
    If the bullet gets stuck into the forcing cone you'll need a rod to push it back into the case/chamber to open the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    If the bullet gets stuck into the forcing cone you'll need a rod to push it back into the case/chamber to open the cylinder.
    With my ammo, the bullet was short enough that it could go back into the cylinder without hitting the case, I suspect that this is true with many 9mm bullets (because the cylinder is the same length as the .357 version, but the case is much shorter) . In my case, it only took finger pressure to push it back in. Also, if it is only protruding slightly, it may clear the frame at the bottom, where there is considerably more room than the cylinder gap.

I would be interested if anyone else had trouble getting a pulled bullet out of the cylinder.

edit:spelling
    Last edited by runngun; 03-15-2024 at 10:06 AM.

I had one of my reloads pull in my LCR. Round #5 stopped cylinder rotation. No drama, turned the gun vertical, hit the ejection rod and very slight pressure to dislodge the pulled bullet. Dropped in a fresh moon clip and kept shooting. I have since increased the crimp on the Lee FC die.

Like others, I have had problems with Blazer ammo. I couldn't get through a whole mag in my P365 without some type of feeding issue in or out. My Beretta 92F had many FTEx with the same ammo. I just say no to Blazer now.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

A bullet gets pulled by forces in recoil so a pulled round will not be in the forcing cone. A pulled round does have the potential to be a squib and that causes a bit more problems.

Long ago I standardized and stocked up on Federal 147 grain Hi-Shok 9MS for my S&W 940 and Beretta 92. Velocity is 900 fps in the 1-7/8" snub and 1030 in the 4.9" Beretta. This contract load has visible lacquer primer sealant and Black Lucas bullet sealant. It has a good street record in OIS.

Name:  20231230_142950.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  36.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I have previously tested Blazer Brass for bullet pull the last time I had it out and did not observe any obvious issues. I won't be carrying taper crimped ammunition in revolvers for social purposes. Thought I'd share today's experiences, prior to this event, I thought that bullet pull was an over exaggerated claim. Guess it wasn't.
    I researched ammo for my 9mm LCR. Lighter rounds were more susceptible to pull. Consensus was 147 grain was best choice to mitigate pull. Also, slow moving heavier bullets have more dwell time in barrel which gives a better chance they’ll perform as designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    I researched ammo for my 9mm LCR. Lighter rounds were more susceptible to pull. Consensus was 147 grain was best choice to mitigate pull. Also, slow moving heavier bullets have more dwell time in barrel which gives a better chance they’ll perform as designed.
    @Hideeho, in this context, what do you mean by dwell time, and how does it affect a bullet's terminal performance? I would think that muzzle velocity would be the deciding factor (possibly spin rate, although I've only heard of it making a difference in rifles).

Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    @Hideeho, in this context, what do you mean by dwell time, and how does it affect a bullet's terminal performance? I would think that muzzle velocity would be the deciding factor (possibly spin rate, although I've only heard of it making a difference in rifles).
    The reason longer barrels give better velocities is the bullet is being pushed by the expanding gasses from the powder for a longer period of time. Thus allowing a higher percentage of the energy from that powder to be converted into kinetic energy pushing the bullet, and leaving less energy to be converted into heat, light, and noise.

A slower bullet takes more time to get down the barrel, and thus should get a higher percentage of that powder converted to kinetic energy just like a faster bullet in a longer barrel.

This seems generally true to me, from looking at chrono tests with 5.56 the heavier bullets perform relatively better in short barrels. Not sure how well that will stack up in handgun barrels where they are so short to begin with, would be interesting to get data on this.

User Tag List