Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: A Springfield 1903 woods rifle

Not as dark as I'd like
    Name:  20240412_102830.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  72.7 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

That picture reminds me of a day I was bumming around some bogs with my Garand. Rounded the corner of a trail and was face-to-knees with a large, nonplussed bull moose. I made pleasantries as I backed away around the corner to hook a wide berth around him. As I did that, a couple chicks came along in full gardening kit to tend their illicit grow op further up the ridge-line and were very confused by the rifle-toting guy giving them directions for a detour due to a moose jam on the main route.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Not as dark as I'd like
    Name:  20240412_102830.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  72.7 KB
    It might oxidize just right.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    It might oxidize just right.
    Yeah, hopefully. I need to get it outside

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    That picture reminds me of a day I was bumming around some bogs with my Garand. Rounded the corner of a trail and was face-to-knees with a large, nonplussed bull moose. I made pleasantries as I backed away around the corner to hook a wide berth around him. As I did that, a couple chicks came along in full gardening kit to tend their illicit grow op further up the ridge-line and were very confused by the rifle-toting guy giving them directions for a detour due to a moose jam on the main route.

Lol

That story reminds me of hunting up in VT with my BIL and his family.

We all had our own areas to push through a large swamp. Towards the end I jump a snowshoe hare and hit him at a full run with my m1. With the angle I took off one front quarter but left the rest. When I got to the truck everyone thought I got a deer. Nope. One of the best shots I've ever made.

Name:  20240418_102010.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  20240418_104620.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  55.5 KB
    3moa from a scoped bolt isn't great imo but it's just with generic m2 ball reloads. I'll try some different load. It was fun on my 8x8 steel at 200 yards. If I can shrink the groups down a little then I'll be happy. Even with similar accuracy it just goes to show you that a 3x scope is much easier to get hits quickly at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  20240418_102010.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  20240418_104620.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  55.5 KB
    3moa from a scoped bolt isn't great imo but it's just with generic m2 ball reloads. I'll try some different load. It was fun on my 8x8 steel at 200 yards. If I can shrink the groups down a little then I'll be happy. Even with similar accuracy it just goes to show you that a 3x scope is much easier to get hits quickly at distance.

Trying some other loads may indeed help. The 1903s Ive had were not all happy with the same loads. In the 80s PMC was bringing in some M2 ball type ammo, one of the guns I had shot it very well, around 1 1/4" for 5 @ 100, others were more ordinary in results, around 3". The 190 gr Speer BTHP loads shot very well in an as issued 4 groove 1903A3 by Remington, but another 4 groove Remington that was sporterized only shot around 3" with the same load.

Dads 1903 sporter would shoot 110 gr loads very well, and the PMC loads, not so well with various other loads.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My '06 rifles: M1/'03/'17, all strongly prefer 168 grain bullets over the lighter M2 and equivalents.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    My '06 rifles: M1/'03/'17, all strongly prefer 168 grain bullets over the lighter M2 and equivalents.
    That could also be due to the quality of the bullet. FMJ bullets don't typically shoot all that well.

My 1903 shoots the 155 Berger well. I can repeatedly hit a steel buffalo at 1130 yards with that load. It's a big target but I'm a bit handicapped with the metallic sights.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I had a Remington 1903 in a 1922 stock with Lyman sights faked up to look like a Springfield Sporter.
    For the usual reasons of "preference" it shot well with the 130 gr Speer varmint bullet.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List