Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Springfield 1903 woods rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    No way to know without trying one, or more? I dont know if there was any standardization in hole spacing between brands. If it were me, Id probably try to get the scope as low as possible after seeing the difference, besides the one piece or two piece bases with twist in rings look much better than weaver type bases and rings. The holes on a base might be able to be changed to fit your existing holes on the gun. I dont know if they made bases without holes that fit the 1903 receiver profile, I think the common method was with holes and just drill and tap the receiver to match.

Also, the rear receiver bridge on original 03-A3s was an inverted dovetail with flats, mounts specifically made for A3s were flat at the rear, but many were ground down to the rounded 1903 shape since it was cleaner looking. Also, double check your gun, I assumed one I had was an A3 but when I took the front mount off it was a 1903. So if you changed the mount, youd want to be certain which it was or if the rear bridge was altered.*

Forging the bolt handle used to be standard work for sporterizing a 1903 or Mauser, most gunsmiths could do it back in the day, it allows the scope to be set much lower. There may have been aftermarket bolts made back when all this was common, I dont know, or some places may have altered original bolts for sale. 1903 bolts are still fairly available and relatively cheap, it seems like $40 was an average going price when I last looked.

*I just zoomed your picture, its not clear when zoomed in close but it does look like an A3 rear bridge.
    I do prefer how the 1 piece redfield looks but walking through the woods I really like my thumb under the scope right behind the front ring.
    So I'll probably keep the 2 piece for a while. Same with the scope. I think it suits it and I might look for another leupold m8 6x for it but I'm going to keep it as is for a while. Except for the stock. That guy is kindling.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

It looks like a fairly well done sporterization, the lack of info on the maker is the only disconcerting note to me. The description says "made in the 50s", I dont think any were "made" from US military or actual contractors factories after the war. They may mean the sporterization job, however, in the 60s, perhaps earlier, there was at least one aftermarket company making receivers and building guns with surplus parts, the general consensus as far as I recall was the receivers were considered by many to be junk, and pretty meaningless since massive piles of excellent quality original guns were around for very reasonable prices. I believe Fed Ord (Federal Ordnance) and/or possibly National Ordnance were the culprits. They may be OK in the greater sense, and safe to shoot, just not the quality or collectible/interest value of the originals, and again, not much point since there still, at this date, LOTS of good originals for pretty reasonable prices.

The comment about it being a replacement barrel since it wasnt 2 groove isnt very useful, the late 03A3s had 2 groove barrels, but I believe many guns were used by and rebuilt by the .mil and state National Guards over later years with GI barrels. Many had the last 2 inches cut off and whatever factory maker and date info thats normally behind the front sight was cut/polished off. It looks like it has the military factory barrel index mark on the barrel, but its hard to tell for certain, the pic isnt clear and lighting isnt good.

Its also possible its been rebarreled with a different caliber barrel like 270 or similar. Theres no markings, so difficult to tell for certain unless theyve tried a shell and see if it fits.

So, it could be a winner, and likely is, but theres still some unknowns.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-05-2024 at 08:49 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

So there's a vintage sniper rifle forum at snipers hide.

Mother fucker. Now I'm looking to convert my hog hunter to a m40 look a like and looking for a m700 to make into an actual clone

Here is my old 03. I have taken a couple of deer with her. The old scope is a fixed 4 power scope.

I have to agree, they are cool old rifles. I need to see if I can find a rear sight for mine. I really like the looks of your rifle @03RN.

Name:  IMG_8625.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  90.4 KB

This one dad bought mail order back in the days before GCA 68 and had a local gunsmith sporterize it. Its in a Fajen Aristocrat stock, not one I would have chosen style wise, but fits me very well, so I just use it. I toned down the reverse flair on the pistol grip but otherwise left it alone. Checking zero once with rem 180 gr factory loads prone it shot a 7/8" group @ 100 yards. It has an old 4x Leupold on it. Had some wicked hat hair, the guy that took the pic was probably laughing while not saying anything.

Name:  Malamute, with dogs, hunting.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  100.3 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-05-2024 at 06:04 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

So there's a vintage sniper rifle forum at snipers hide.

Mother fucker. Now I'm looking to convert my hog hunter to a m40 look a like and looking for a m700 to make into an actual clone

My taste in vintage rifles of that type run towards the 1903s. My 25-06 1903 is currently in a military stock, not sure if it will stay in it or get a sporter stock.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d+sniper+rifle
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-05-2024 at 06:31 PM.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

convert my hog hunter to a m40 look a like
    Ears perk up - I have an unused Hog Hunter around here.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This one dad bought mail order back in the days before GCA 68 and had a local gunsmith sporterize it. Its in a Fajen Aristocrat stock, not one I would have chosen style wise, but fits me very well, so I just use it. I toned down the reverse flair on the pistol grip but otherwise left it alone. Checking zero once with rem 180 gr factory loads prone it shot a 7/8" group @ 100 yards. It has an old 4x Leupold on it. Had some wicked hat hair, the guy that took the pic was probably laughing while not saying anything.

Name:  Malamute, with dogs, hunting.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  100.3 KB
    Malamute:

I plead guilty to thread drift: What are the pups' names? Handsome pair of mals.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Malamute:

I plead guilty to thread drift: What are the pups' names? Handsome pair of mals.

Bruce
    The one on the left is Molly, the other is Stewart, who we think was a collie/malamute cross. Both are long gone now unfortunately, and another dogs lifetime passed as well. Have a possible connection for another soon. Waiting for pups to be weaned, then mom will be up for adoption.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List