Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Springfield 1903 woods rifle

Site Supporter
    I love/hate my heirloom sporteized '03A3.

Love the history. Love that my wife's grandfather got it through CMP for a song and customized it, and killed a lot of deer with it. Loved that my wife's dad chose me to receive it, rather than his son. Love how it shoots. Not free floated, but I have shot it enough to compensate for a warming barrel over 10 rounds- over 8 inches of change, in two axis. I have DOPE on those first 10 rounds a dozen times over.

Hate the feel of the beautiful well carved custom stock. Hate that 150gr is the only bullet it likes.

Based on observations, any elk providing his/her vitals within 500 yards will likely fall over dead...Into my freezer.

I love, love, love loving this despite its flaws and shortcomings...something almost three decades of marriage taught me about the other love Herself's father gave me...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I love/hate my heirloom sporteized '03A3.

Love the history. Love that my wife's grandfather got it through CMP for a song and customized it, and killed a lot of deer with it. Loved that my wife's dad chose me to receive it, rather than his son. Love how it shoots. Not free floated, but I have shot it enough to compensate for a warming barrel over 10 rounds- over 8 inches of change, in two axis. I have DOPE on those first 10 rounds a dozen times over.

Hate the feel of the beautiful well carved custom stock. Hate that 150gr is the only bullet it likes.

Based on observations, any elk providing his/her vitals within 500 yards will likely fall over dead...Into my freezer.

I love, love, love loving this despite its flaws and shortcomings...something almost three decades of marriage taught me about the other love Herself's father gave me...

pat
    It may be worth bedding the action and possibly part of the barrel, that may help with the warm barrel/POI change and the only liking 150 gr loads.

Is it a 2 or 4 groove barrel?

Ive had both original and sporterized 1903s, a decent sporter stock is much more user friendly for shooting and carrying, though some can be improved for fit to the user with a little woodworking.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    It may be worth bedding the action and possibly part of the barrel, that may help with the warm barrel/POI change and the only liking 150 gr loads.

Ive had both original and sporterized 1903s, a decent sporter stock is much more user friendly for shooting and carrying.
    Not sure. As an Hierloom I don't want to change anything while wife's dad is alive. When his Parkinson's takes him I figure it is a Fair Game Hierloom, and .35 Whelen AI, with a threaded barrel, suppressor appropriate to and a comfortable shooting stock before I pass it on to one of the three kiddos.

I don't disagree that a DECENT sporter stock is better than the original, this one is pretty, and usable enough for game, I could do so much better with a better stock. The only time in my life I think that I will be wrong with my usual "shorter stocks are generally better", and then cheek pad and palm swells carved into the stock such a poor fit for me...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Ive had both original and sporterized 1903s, a decent sporter stock is much more user friendly for shooting and carrying, though some can be improved for fit to the user with a little woodworking.
    Do 1903s typically like being free floated? Or do they typically like a little pressure on the barrel?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Do 1903s typically like being free floated? Or do they typically like a little pressure on the barrel?
    I dont know, dads that shot the nickel size group was free floated. There may be more than one right answer. I had an original Rem 03A3 in like new condition that also shot extremely well, I did a 5 shot group with 190 gr BTHP loads that was about 1/2" tall and 1 1/4" wide for 5 rested over my motorcycle seat in a stiff cross breeze. I was very happy with it.

Best I can suggest is a bit of research and see what you gun likes. Id start free float and go from there.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not sure. As an Hierloom I don't want to change anything while wife's dad is alive. When his Parkinson's takes him I figure it is a Fair Game Hierloom, and .35 Whelen AI, with a threaded barrel, suppressor appropriate to and a comfortable shooting stock before I pass it on to one of the three kiddos.

I don't disagree that a DECENT sporter stock is better than the original, this one is pretty, and usable enough for game, I could do so much better with a better stock. The only time in my life I think that I will be wrong with my usual "shorter stocks are generally better", and then cheek pad and palm swells carved into the stock such a poor fit for me...

pat
    UNM1136:

I saw the reference to the 35 Whelen AI (Ackley Improved, I believe). I have always been fascinated with that cartridge but never got around to buying/building a gun for it. What are your thoughts on that cartridge? If you think there is some interest, we may want to start another thread rather than derail 03RN's thread about his gorgeous rifle.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    UNM1136:

I saw the reference to the 35 Whelen AI (Ackley Improved, I believe). I have always been fascinated with that cartridge but never got around to buying/building a gun for it. What are your thoughts on that cartridge? If you think there is some interest, we may want to start another thread rather than derail 03RN's thread about his gorgeous rifle.

Bruce
    Done, sir!

We will likely be the only two reading the four posts I predict it will get...

here

pat

On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

My first group at 200 yards was just under 6" shooting off a stump.

Attachment 116178
    Others could disagree, but it seems to my mind that all 6" groups are not the same. For example, a 6 incher with the holes scattered randomly over the target tells an entirely different story than if the rounds were (ex 1) clustered within a in narrow N/S column, or (ex 2) closely packed within a horizontal area that may be 6 inches long, but also is 2 inches wide.

I'd be quite satisfied with targets like yours, expecially with iron sights atop a century-old rifle.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

It's easy to lose hours of your life with that channel.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List