Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A Springfield 1903 woods rifle

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ears perk up - I have an unused Hog Hunter around here.

It might be insulting to true cloners but I was thinking about a one piece leupold base and getting a old wood monte carlo stock and refinish.

I installed a accustock/savage detachable mags on mine so I think I need one milled for either dbm or a floorplate.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The one on the left is Molly, the other is Stewart, who we think was a collie/malamute cross. Both are long gone now unfortunately, and another dogs lifetime passed as well. Have a possible connection for another soon. Waiting for pups to be weaned, then mom will be up for adoption.
    Malamute:

Thanks for indulging me. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer to the Malamute Gods that you are able to do the adoption.

Nice looking rifle too.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

No way to know without trying one, or more? I dont know if there was any standardization in hole spacing between brands. If it were me, Id probably try to get the scope as low as possible after seeing the difference, besides the one piece or two piece bases with twist in rings look much better than weaver type bases and rings. The holes on a base might be able to be changed to fit your existing holes on the gun. I dont know if they made bases without holes that fit the 1903 receiver profile, I think the common method was with holes and just drill and tap the receiver to match.

Also, the rear receiver bridge on original 03-A3s was an inverted dovetail with flats, mounts specifically made for A3s were flat at the rear, but many were ground down to the rounded 1903 shape since it was cleaner looking. Also, double check your gun, I assumed one I had was an A3 but when I took the front mount off it was a 1903. So if you changed the mount, youd want to be certain which it was or if the rear bridge was altered.*

Forging the bolt handle used to be standard work for sporterizing a 1903 or Mauser, most gunsmiths could do it back in the day, it allows the scope to be set much lower. There may have been aftermarket bolts made back when all this was common, I dont know, or some places may have altered original bolts for sale. 1903 bolts are still fairly available and relatively cheap, it seems like $40 was an average going price when I last looked.

*I just zoomed your picture, its not clear when zoomed in close but it does look like an A3 rear bridge.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  12.1 KB

Any experience with the leupold mount? It says it's for the A3 but it doesn't look like it's milled for a notch

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  12.1 KB

Any experience with the leupold mount? It says it's for the A3 but it doesn't look like it's milled for a notch
    I believe that is intended to sit on the flat just ahead of the inverted dovetail, drilling and tapping one hole to suit.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I believe that is intended to sit on the flat just ahead of the inverted dovetail, drilling and tapping one hole to suit.
    Found a redfield one for $40 and redfield rings for $30. I'll try both and see what I like. I'm not a die hard cloner but I do think the 1 piece base looks better too.

Found a redfield one for $40 and redfield rings for $30. I'll try both and see what I like. I'm not a die hard cloner but I do think the 1 piece base looks better too.
    I expect they are a bit sturdier as well.

If you end up using it, it may be worth getting a spare windage screw if you come across one. Its embarrassing to find one missing when headed to a hunt. Dididnt happen to me, but did to a guy I hunted with.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-07-2024 at 08:22 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I expect they are a bit sturdier as well.

If you end up using it, it may be worth getting a spare windage screw if you come across one. Its embarrassing to find one missing when headed to a hunt. Dididnt happen to me, but did to a guy I hunted with.
    I just replaced a 2 PC mount with a 1 PC mount fir another gun so I've got 2 spares.

A couple things with the A3

The safety is backwards. Is that a standard for for scope use? The bolt handle is fixed for scope use.

I got the stock in today too. Is there a better way to fit the forward bands than 220 sandpaper?

The k3 has 2 cross hairs. What's the 2nd one?

The magazine cuttoff is disabled. Any benefits to that or should I replace the follower?

I just replaced a 2 PC mount with a 1 PC mount fir another gun so I've got 2 spares.

A couple things with the A3

The safety is backwards. Is that a standard for for scope use? The bolt handle is fixed for scope use.

I got the stock in today too. Is there a better way to fit the forward bands than 220 sandpaper?

The k3 has 2 cross hairs. What's the 2nd one?

The magazine cuttoff is disabled. Any benefits to that or should I replace the follower?

The safeties for scopes were generally on the right side, up for safe, down for fire, with limited movement compared to the military paddle or wing type.

Ive used a coarse file and sandpaper to fit bands, though they generally fit OK on military stocks. Aftermarket, no telling how parts will fit.

The old Weaver double crosshair was (IIRC) partly a rang finding thing, a certain size animal/whatever fit between the wires at a given range, various ranges changed the relationship, like if a deer fit @ 100 yard, @ 200 it would fill half the space, 300 1/3 the space. I dont recall the exact way they intended it to be used, fidning some old paperwork may fill in details or google info. The second crosshair can also be used as an aiming point on longer distances, again, its been ages since I saw the paperwork on them. An old Shooters Bible may give info, probably mid 60s to early 70s would be a good bet for info on the dual crosshair use. I have some but they arent where i am currently. If you set a tape measure up vertically at 100 yards you may be able to figure out what the spacing is.

Disabled in what way? The cutoff isnt of much practical use outside of longer range single fire or volley fire and saving the loaded magazine for the charge. If you mean the follower was beveled so it doesnt lock open when empty, that was a common thing on sporters, though I like them to lock when empty. Parts are still available for 1903s.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-09-2024 at 04:22 PM.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Name:  20240411_113455.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  19.2 KB
    Needed some wood removal for the bolt handle, the bands, around the buttplate, etc but I finally got a coat of Danish oil on her

Looks like a 6moa gap
    Name:  IMG_1368.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  50.2 KB

User Tag List