Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I bought a TRP today...

So I bought a TRP today...

Last week I had absolutely zero plans on buying another Government-sized 45 ACP 1911 any time soon. I was perusing a local forum Saturday night and this sucker popped up for sale. It's not every day you run into a TRP for the same price as most Mil-Spec models. It's a 2008 production that came basically NIB with a set of VZ Operators on it (and some Challis Torx grip screws which I promptly exchanged for slotted ones). It was literally too good of a deal to pass up, so I didn't.

I apologize for the crappy kitchen floor pic, but I thought I'd share. I also have a Springfield Professional Operator built around the same time so comparing the two is sort of interesting.

Some brief observations since I picked it up this afternoon:

- The fit and finish is quite nice. It's certainly above the Loaded, MC Operator, and other Springfield production models of the period, but not as nice as the Pro. I had an original Long Beach Operator (from the original LBPD order) that I foolishly sold. I'd say it is very similar in finish to that, but just a skosh better.
    - The 20 LPI checkering is quite sharp and they needed to dehorn it at the bottom of the frontstrap in the magwell area (like on the Pro). I'll have to take care of that myself.
    - Besides the magwell area and the slide-stop notch on the slide, everything on the slide and frame feels pretty nicely dehorned. You can't shave with it like you can a new Colt.
    - The beavertail fit isn't seamless, but it's early 2000's level quite good. I'm happy with it as is.
    - The Novak copies on it suck. I was expecting that. They're going to get replaced by 10-8 sights anyway.
    - I hate two piece guide rods. That's going too.
    - It has the ILS built into the MSH/magwell which is a shame and is way oversprung. I'm still pondering if I should replace it was a S&A or ditch the magwell for an aluminum EGW MSH.
    - Since I'm ditching the ILS and super heavy mainspring I'm going to have to ditch the titanium firing pin and go steel.
    - Soooooo much MIM. I know I'm going to replace the slide stop and thumb safeties because they're MIM, they feel cheap, they're sharp, and I just don't like them. I'm not sure if I'm going to change the ignition components or not.
    - The VZ Operators look nice, but they're much sharper than they need to be. I'll probably carry this thing IWB a fair amount and I can already tell they're going to tear up shirts, jacket liners, and skin. I have a beautiful pair of checkered french walnut grips than may find their way on here, or another set of less aggressive VZ's.

I need to find a good color-match spray-and-bake finish for the small components I replace. I'm thinking Brownells Flat Black Alumahyde right now, but it isn't in stock.

Before I change too much though I feel like a pictorial comparison with the Pro is in order. I might have to take some pictures this weekend.

Nice piece!
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Nice find! I suggest keeping the titanium firing pin unless you experience problems after the other changes. I use a titanium firing pin and extra power firing pin spring in my Kimber, and have had zero problems using this combination with a standard mainspring.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Excellent find and acquisition. Let the customization commence!

The 10-8 U-Notch sights are my go to. I really like the .156 notch. Since you mentioned replacing the Full Length Guide Rod (Yuck!) Hilton makes a very nice recoil spring plug and guide rod. Slide stop too.

Great pick up. I like the VZ Operators personally, but you might want to try gently sanding before switching. If you do switch, you might want to try their Tactical Slant or alternatively, their regular Slant) Palmswell G10 grips with a Super Scoop magazine access trough. So far, the Operator 2s that I've installed haven't chewed up any clothing, though, and I really like how they lock my grip in.

https://vzgrips.com/shop-all/semi-au...m-swell-grips/

Intellectually, I agree that a GI recoil assembly is a mo bettah setup; but for a reason I can't quite qualify, I recently decided to try a Clark 2 piece guide rod in my SIG GSR....

For a magazine release, I've been very pleased with the BH Spring Solutions/RDIH Extended one-ergonomically it's excellent, with no unintended slide locking occurring in several years of use.

And I totally agree with you on going with regular slotted screws.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Nice pistol!

Pretty much all the Springfield Armory guns I've owned have gotten a Heinie Ledge rear and Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight installed. A .325 rear pairs nicely with a .160 front (for me).

Site Supporter
    One could sand those VZs a bit with a sanding 150+ grit sanding sponge and just take the edge off. I f I did that, I would wear a mask so as to not inhale any of the G10.

That is a lovely pistol.

FWIW K, what is your mag of choice?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Great pick up. I like the VZ Operators personally, but you might want to try gently sanding before switching. If you do switch, you might want to try their Tactical Slant or alternatively, their regular Slant) Palmswell G10 grips with a Super Scoop magazine access trough. So far, the Operator 2s that I've installed haven't chewed up any clothing, though, and I really like how they lock my grip in.

https://vzgrips.com/shop-all/semi-au...m-swell-grips/

Intellectually, I agree that a GI recoil assembly is a mo bettah setup; but for a reason I can't quite qualify, I recently decided to try a Clark 2 piece guide rod in my SIG GSR....

For a magazine release, I've been very pleased with the BH Spring Solutions/RDIH Extended one-ergonomically it's excellent, with no unintended slide locking occurring in several years of use.

And I totally agree with you on going with regular slotted screws.

Best, Jon
    Slight correction and elaboration: When I said "magazine release" I really meant to say "extended slide release."

However, that said, I also have the BH SS/RDIH magazine release installed, which incorporates a lever-type release on the right side in conjunction with the normal button on the left side, along with a slightly lighter magazine release assembly spring to make the lever release viable. While I rarely eject the magazine using the lever release on the right side, it's kind of an additional tool in the toolbox sorta thing. It works well with 8 round extended tube and 7 round regular tube magazines, but is very stiff and difficult to actuate with the right side lever when using 8 round standart tube welded baseplate magazines.

The JonInWA corrective walk of corrections shame:

BH SS Extended SLIDE release:

BH SS Tactical two-sided MAGAZINE release:

Sight wise, my preference in a 1911 sight has been with a Novak wide notch rear and a .125 front, with the front sight face painted with neon/flourescent orange.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    One could sand those VZs a bit with a sanding 150+ grit sanding sponge and just take the edge off. I f I did that, I would wear a mask so as to not inhale any of the G10.

That is a lovely pistol.

FWIW K, what is your mag of choice?
    I think I'll try that!

I've always had great luck with Wilson 47, 47D's (if you stay on top of swapping the springs), and the older CMC Powermags. They all use a common basepad pattern and all get switched to the Wilson slim steel basepads. I used to buy CMC Powermags when they were around $20 a pop and swap out the basepads for steel Wilson ones. Easy button. At $40 a mag now that Wilson owns them I think they're a little overpriced. I usually wait until Wilson does their Thanksgiving/Christmas sales to buy mags.

Most 1911 mag malfunctions I've seen over the years have been due to over insertion when the plastic basepads wear and gets bendy and when springs wear out. Most of the other two pop up long before feedlips start to spread or over insertion caused by the bendy basepads leads to damage of the feedlips from coming into contact with either the ejector or the bottom of the slide.

The Wilson ETMs are good mags, but because of the longer tube and plastic basepads are notorious for overinsertion issues. The only way I'll use them is if they have been swapped to steel basepads to limit travel into the magwell.

User Tag List