Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I bought a TRP today...

It's a backup to a backup to a backup to a backup, but I still have my circa-2000 TRP. Mostly original, except the hand-cut Westinghouse Micarta stocks, Trijicon front sight (to replace one that flew off) and various ignition parts. Of course I tossed the garbage two piece FLGR and replaced with a GI spring guide. I also tossed the two-piece magwell, replaced with a Smith & Alexander.

At the time SA used Storm Lake one piece barrels, and that was and still is pretty accurate. I also glass-bead blasted the slide and frame which was a vast improvement over how it came from the factory.

At the moment it has the hammer and sear from a recent Colt that I reworked (corrected sear), for testing purposes.

At the time, 1999-2000, it was probably the best-appointed Springfield you could get without going to their Custom Shop. Loaded with hard-chromed MIM parts, but those- even the extractor- have worked fine. Slide and frame started with and still have an agreeable fit.

It pales in comparison to my pair of Professionals from the same era, I hate the slide and dust cover markings, I hate the front cocking serrations, but it has always gone bang.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I made it to the range yesterday at lunch. I had about 30 min to setup, shoot, and clean-up, and was in full uniform so it wasn't like I had time to really wring it out, but I put around 100 rounds through the gun.

Some quick initial thoughts and observations:

- It ran all 100 rounds without a hiccup (I didn't expect any) with Wilson 47 mags
    - I really don't like the VZ Operators. They're going to go. I was going to try sanding them, but they just do it for me.
    - The gun grouped nicely (I was only shooting off-hand I may stick it in a Ransom at some point), but printed everything 4" high at 25 yards (glad I hadn't ordered sights yet).
    - The oversprung ILS system gives the trigger and recoil impulse a pretty interesting feeling. I don't hate it, but it doesn't feel normal.
    - I'm spoiled and hate shooting 1911's that haven't been properly de-horned. This gun needs it badly. Way too many pointy and sharp edges. A weekend spent with this gun would be miserable in in its factory configuration and I guarantee a detail strip would leave you bleeding somewhere. I don't know how the guys at my Department that have run these guns through lots of rounds over the years have done it without being absolutely miserable or busting out a file and emory cloth.

I've got some goodies coming from 10-8 Performance and EGW. I perused some forums and managed to score an older Ed Brown Maxi-Well (what the factory Springfield magwell is a knock-off of) super cheap along with some out of production full checkered wooden VZ magwell grips.

Springfield ArmoryKote appears to just be matte black KG Gun Kote the more I look at it. It's not bad, but not nearly as nice as the late 2000's Birdsong Black T on my Pro. It definitely is nowhere near as nice as the Virgil Tripp Cobra Coat on my Dave Berryhill Kimber. Those guys did a way better bake-on finish.

I have a spray can of Matte Black Lauer DuraBake on the way from Midway and already have a Birchwood Casey Super Black flat black touch up pen. I think between the two of these I should be able to blend in the new parts and touch up what I de-horn on the frame and slide (knock on wood). If I go crazy de-horning (as I've been known to do) or my OCD gets the better of me I may just send it out to CCR to have the whole thing refinished, but I'd rather avoid that.

Looks almost exactly like mine, it’s a 2013 model. First thing I did with mine was replace the God awful two piece guide rod with a GI set up, actually went with the Wilson flat spring. I like the VZ grips have a set on mine just sanded them down a bit, you are so right about them needing a melt job on the slides. Every edge is sharp and rough, after a long day of drills and training your hands will feel like they went through a meat grinder. But besides that she has always ran great.

With my MC Op, its slide is also sharp as hell. Why SA won’t won’t knock the sharp high points down especially on the TRPs is beyond me.

Good lookin guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Why SA won’t won’t knock the sharp high points down especially on the TRPs is beyond me.
    I can answer that.

Because it's time consuming and costs money and they want to keep the price down on the guns, which I understand. The reality is that most people that buy them won't know the difference and won't care. I care.

I'm more than happy to take the time to de-horn it myself. My only problem is having to either refinish the gun or making the touch up paint match. I got the gun for cheap and don't want to sink too much into it. That being said, I'm not going to tear myself up.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Good lookin guns!

I can answer that.

Because it's time consuming and costs money and they want to keep the price down on the guns, which I understand. The reality is that most people that buy them won't know the difference and won't care. I care.

I'm more than happy to take the time to de-horn it myself. My only problem is having to either refinish the gun or making the touch up paint match. I got the gun for cheap and don't want to sink too much into it. That being said, I'm not going to tear myself up.
    I agree with you but that said I’ve owned upwards of 20 1911s in my life from many manufactures, have 9 right now from WC and EB, Colt, SA and Kimber. None of them have been anywhere near as high and sharp as the SA, even Kimber does a nice job of melting the slides even on their cheaper models. I’ve had cheap Remington and even a Taurus 1911 that had softer slides. It’s a SA thing that has to do with their production, even much cheaper brands take the step of knocking the edges off the slides somewhat. SA is contend with sending them off with razor blades for some reason.

One advantage to the stainless model- I lightly dehorned the surgical sharp edges before I glass bead blasted the thing.

Nice find!

User Tag List