Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Trigger Job with Short Reset

Adjustable SA Take-Up

I mentioned the option to install a Beretta Match Hammer which shortens the SA take-up and is also lightweight and skeletonized.
    It has a shorter fixed pre travel (Take-Up) compare to all other hammers but I want to show an alternative I prefer.

Problem 1 - It only comes in one profile and weight (fully skeletonized)
    Problem 2 - Take-Up is not adjustable (unless you file down other parts of the PX4 to fit it to your liking)

I prefer either the bobbed heavy hammer or the Standard semi skeletonized and for this gun (none EDC) I will use the standard.

Hammer materials are either hardened steel or A2 tool steel and will require some minor drilling and tapping with carbide tools

Name:  IMG_3628.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  74.3 KB

Hammer is held in the vise ensuring the surface to be drilled is horizontal

Name:  IMG_3594.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  57.4 KB

I punch the exact center of the surface

Name:  IMG_3595.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  41.1 KB

Like this

Name:  IMG_3596.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  41.3 KB

Drill press is a must and set to slowest speed

Name:  IMG_3630.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  73.7 KB

and I drill through using oil as coolant and lubricant with a 2.05mm carbide drill

Name:  IMG_3631.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  43.4 KB

Like this

Name:  IMG_3632.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3633.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  27.9 KB

Next I tap the hole to M2.5 0.45

Name:  IMG_3635.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3636.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  57.4 KB

I'll be using Stainless Steel bolt M2 0.45 flat hex head

Name:  IMG_3637.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  33.2 KB

and file the bolt head to the exact width of the drilled surface like this

Name:  IMG_3640.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  40.1 KB

I screw the bolt into the new threaded hole about half way

Name:  IMG_3642.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3643.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  33.4 KB

and assemble the pistol. Note how the trigger is positioned when hammer is cocked. Hardly any pre travel.

Name:  IMG_3644.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  59.7 KB

I test the gun to make sure it functions normally and it doesn't because I need to start adjusting the pre travel positively by turning the bolt in, one half turn at a time and retest.
    Once I found my sweet post when the pistol functions again I apply red Loctite and add one extra half turn for almost no pre travel and full reliable functionality.

Name:  IMG_3645.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3646.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3647.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  32.8 KB

Here's a short video to demonstrate the completed trigger job with 0.1" SA Reset and 0.075" SA Take-Up

Small correction... Bolt is M2.5 0.45 (Not M2)

Additional spring weight data

Quote Originally Posted by hank440 View Post
    So how light of a hammer spring can you go on this PX4 and still maintain 100% with factory ammo ? #10 or #11 hammer spring ?
    @preeb I wanted to chime in to add data concerning our experiences with hammer springs in multiple PX4s for high round counts. This data comes from well over 350,000 rounds and input from my Facebook group focused on the PX4 Storm with 31,000+ members. After all... Pistol Forum is about information and data.

I have an LTT 10# spring (in a drawer, as I have never used it). Here's why:

I only use Beretta D springs for any Storm that has defensive application. I put 92,730 rounds on one D spring before retiring it.

I have seen many light strikes and failures to ignite from 11# springs. As have many members of our FB group. I even have avid shooters that post pictures of their spent primers categorized by 10# spring, 11# spring, DA, SA impacts. All firing pin channels have been at varied points of clean from freshly solvent scrubbed to 10k rounds of dirty. There was no difference. All locktimes fell within acceptable parameters of https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page9 post 83

These 11# springs gave light strikes and were retired with these round counts: 4,600, 14,070, 14,350, 30,241.
    I have an 11# spring in my current range pistol with 61,759 rounds, but I put up with occasional light strikes. It seems to be just a few/2k. It has a long locktime.

I have not used the 10# spring since the 11# can cause light strikes. But, as I mentioned, I won't use an 11# for life saving defensive use. Though I have never tried an LTT 12# spring, I have not heard of any problems with its use. I would trust it.

Many ran the 10Lb spring on the PX4 with no issues and I’m sure some do have issues.
    It’s mostly about personal trial and error.
    For range guns I can live with a light strike if it’s rare.
    Depending on gun condition and setup, ammo and also the shooter.
    Many malfunctions happen due to the way the shooter is gripping and running the gun.
    For service, EDC and home protection I personally wouldn’t even use the PX4 D spring.. Stock is great and when adrenaline is pumping a 20Lb spring can feel like 5.

Quote Originally Posted by preeb View Post
    Many ran the 10Lb spring on the PX4 with no issues and I’m sure some do have issues.
    It’s mostly about personal trial and error.
    For range guns I can live with a light strike if it’s rare.
    Depending on gun condition and setup, ammo and also the shooter.
    Many malfunctions happen due to the way the shooter is gripping and running the gun.
    For service, EDC and home protection I personally wouldn’t even use the PX4 D spring.. Stock is great and when adrenaline is pumping a 20Lb spring can feel like 5.
    @hank440 asked for 100% reliability. That's why I chimed in.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    @hank440 asked for 100% reliability. That's why I chimed in.
    Hope I didn't cross as an ass.. didn't mean to. Understood +very important data. Still, 100% reliability is not all about the hammer spring.
    I have a PX4 with competition setup that uses a filed 10LB spring that brought it down to 8-9Lb and still functions 100% (for me so far ~ 500 rounds) with Federal or CCI pistol primers.
    Not a scientific method... but if I keep the DA pull weight over 6Lbs it's fine with no FTF's with these primers.
    If it wasn't clear enough already, everything I posted on this thread is NOT for EDC and 100% reliability, just some stuff that may help PX4 tinkerers (-;
    For EDC and home defense I'd leave everything stock, maybe add a light, run 500 rounds, clean it and hope to never use it again.

User Tag List