Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Break In Query

Site Supporter

Not a carry gun

Guys I have no plans to carry a full size 1911 .45. It's too damn big and heavy. The gun will only be used for the joy of shooting paper targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Guys I have no current plans to carry a full size 1911 .45.
    FIFY....
    Seriously, they ride so nicely you might be surprised.

If it is made properly it should run right out of the box.

Lube it and shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And personally I am not .MIL or .LE, I will just start shooting a new gun for my typical practice, and after a few trips I will consider it good to go, go to the grocery store that is. If I were a guy who is assigned to a task force to go serve high risk warrants with the Marshalls Service I would have a stricter criteria.
    Let me offer a different assessment of risk.
    If you have to pull a pistol, the need will be in answer to an immediate threat of crippling or death to you or another innocent person. You will be alone, without force of numbers, armor, long guns or the quelling effect that the uniform still has on resistance. CCW gunfights tend to be very short, very high intensity affairs that are decided in the first burst of fire and are generally over too quickly for remedial action.
    I would assert that for you, as a CCW, the need for multiple rapid shots is predictably more critical than a cop's. Unless he is solo...like you. Even then he has armor, open carry and should have the heightened awareness of actually looking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Let me offer a different assessment of risk.
    If you have to pull a pistol, the need will be in answer to an immediate threat of crippling or death to you or another innocent person. You will be alone, without force of numbers, armor, long guns or the quelling effect that the uniform still has on resistance. CCW gunfights tend to be very short, very high intensity affairs that are decided in the first burst of fire and are generally over too quickly for remedial action.
    I would assert that for you, as a CCW, the need for multiple rapid shots is predictably more critical than a cop's. Unless he is solo...like you. Even then he has armor, open carry and should have the heightened awareness of actually looking for trouble.
    Nothing wrong with that assessment.

Those comments above while related speak to a different issue, trust and reliability. The owner must have confidence that their weapon system is up to the task. Any pistol that will be used for cary needs to be vetted with the ammo and magazines it will use. The protocols for developing that trust vary widely depending upon who you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    CCW gunfights tend to be very short, very high intensity affairs that are decided in the first burst of fire and are generally over too quickly for remedial action.
    Yes, I agree (I think we actually do), my point it that even though I carry a pistol almost every single time I leave the house, the mathematical reality of me actually getting into a fight I was not able to avoid (since I do not need to go looking for bad people) and a particular pistol of a brand known to be reliable that I have tested for several hundred rounds decides that is the time to malfunction, and I get killed because I didn't test it a few thousand more times is just a risk I am willing to take. As much as I love 1911s, I would expect to take longer to develop a level of trust, but when I buy something like one more M&P I will shoot it enough (I like your infant mortality analogy) to have it not give me a reason to not trust it, and then accept it as reliable.

I worry I might get killed in the streets, because it is becoming much more likely an unlicensed driver who is in the country illegally will run a red light at 40mph over the posted limit on my way to the grocery, but most all of the modern pistols continue to work as designed with boring regularity.

Trooper224, I'm glad to hear you chime in, and you even recall the make and model gun I'm going to buy. I respect your advise, knowing you have a lot of Springfield 1911 experience. You're likely entirely correct. When I finally get the gun home I will clean and lube it, rack the slide a dozen or so times to see how it fits and feels, then hit the range for a 100 round session! I hope to buy the gun later this week or the following week. My excitement is growing!
    The only research you need to be doing is for some sexy grips for your new gat.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter

Grips

That's ironic, I was just looking at grip panels on the VZ site. While I've never handled a 1911, the width of them appears rather thin in photos. I'm wondering if I'll need thicker panels for a proper grip. The VZ site refers to panel thickness, but I have no idea of the thickness of A1 panels. Can you provide the figure?

That's ironic, I was just looking at grip panels on the VZ site. While I've never handled a 1911, the width of them appears rather thin in photos. I'm wondering if I'll need thicker panels for a proper grip. The VZ site refers to panel thickness, but I have no idea of the thickness of A1 panels. Can you provide the figure?
    What size are your hands? S? M? L? XL?

Site Supporter
    Typical Thickness for a grip panel is .250-.255.

That number is easily confirmable via a Google Search re "1911 grip panel thickness."

If you want to run a thinner grip, particularly, under .200, thin grip bushings and shorter grip panel screws are often in order.

VZ makes an excellent product and their commitment to the Widow Simonich is most honorable.

https://vzgrips.com/products/simonic...911-grips.html
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List