Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What You Want in a Folding Knife

Yah, pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    My knives are primarily tools, and secondarily backup self defense weapons or primary self defense weapons if I am traveling in certain states. What I look for:

A good lock: lockback, Cold Steel Tri-ad Lock, Spyderco ball bearing lock, Benchmade Axis Lock, or Demko Shark Lock. I have zero interest in liner locks or frame locks, both of which will wear at the bottom corner of the lock. The only liner type lock I like is a Bram Frank Puzzle Lock, which self-compensates for wear.

Blade length of 2 7/8" to 4" and also legal wherever I am going. Any shorter or longer than this makes opening the knife one handed difficult.

Good ergonomics in the handle, pivot, and thumb stud or thumb hole design for easy one-hand opening.

A handle shape that holds the knife in my hand and keeps my hand from slipping forward onto the blade.

A pocket-opening or "wave" mechanism that is sufficiently well designed so that it does not tear up my pockets.

A pocket clip set up for tip-up carry. Tip-up places the back of the blade against the back of my pocket, making accidental opening impossible. I have accidentally cut both pockets and my hands when carrying tip-down knives. If that pocket clip is powder-coated in a black color for discretion with dark-colored pants, that is even better. Black paint will quickly chip off, so powder coat is strongly preferred.

A narrow, sharp point that can be worked between a person's skin and any material which may be constricting a finger or arm without injuring the person I am trying to help. Years ago, my special needs son managed to somehow wrap the ribbon from a teddy bear's bow tie around his finger, so that we could not figure out how to unwrap it. While my wife called 911, I worked the tip of a Spyderco Waved Delica between the finger and the ribbon, slowly but progressively cutting off the ribbon, with only very tiny nicks in my son's finger. EMTs arrived a few minutes later and confirmed that all was well.

I can accept a variety of handle materials. I can also accept a variety of blade steels, as long as they have a good heat treatment.

In my pocket right now: a pair of Cold Steel Storm Cloud knives, one on my right side and one on my left side.

Other knives I am very likely to carry: Spyderco Waved Delica, Spyderco Waved Endura, Cold Steel Recon 1 with a Snaggletooth pocket opener, and a Cold Steel AD-10. The AD-10 is the ergonomic standard by which all others should be judged. The thumb stud is easier for me to consistently hit with my thumb than anything else, especially when wearing gloves. Once open, the handle comfortably and securely holdss the knife in my hand.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I carry Dad's Swiss Army Knife.

My Dad's Old Timer
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Which Hissatsu is that?

I don't remember any factory ones that had all those features (which I do like).
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Which Hissatsu is that?

I don't remember any factory ones that had all those features (which I do like).
    That's a bit of a sad story. It's a Osoraku Zukuri Folder by Williams Blade Designs. The handle is made from a single milled piece of "spectral" carbon fiber, with an integral locking bar. Unfortunately both samples I bought (and returned sequentially) were defective. Apparently, while carbon fiber is very strong and tough in bending, it deforms under compression. The locking bar on both knives got shorter over time and failed to lock the blade solidly. Chris Williams responded personally when I contacted him about the second OZF-S01, and offered to refund my money if Blade HQ wouldn't. But Blade HQ were awesome as well, and processed both returns promptly for a full refund.

Bummer because this was an amazing knife.

Interesting aside: Chris Williams mentioned that they are working on a carbon fiber folder with a titanium locking bar...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Handle is most important part of a knife

I like lockbacks for stay closed bias

I like kicks or ricassos for hand protection from lock failure (if you try all folders can have lock failure from debris or hand pressure on the lock or failure to lock open especially with cool flicks, attempted inertia opening, entanglement or zip ties etc. Quality locks seldom from proper use)

I like holes as they don't snag on stuff

I think choils are stupid

I like warncliff or modified warncliff (think Spyderco Endura family) blade shape on a folder

Serrations are great for specific things and they suck for everything else

No bellys on "tactical" knives. Belly=general use/camping or hunting knife

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's a bit of a sad story. It's a Osoraku Zukuri Folder by Williams Blade Designs. The handle is made from a single milled piece of "spectral" carbon fiber, with an integral locking bar. Unfortunately both samples I bought (and returned sequentially) were defective. Apparently, while carbon fiber is very strong and tough in bending, it deforms under compression. The locking bar on both knives got shorter over time and failed to lock the blade solidly. Chris Williams responded personally when I contacted him about the second OZF-S01, and offered to refund my money if Blade HQ wouldn't. But Blade HQ were awesome as well, and processed both returns promptly for a full refund.

Bummer because this was an amazing knife.

Interesting aside: Chris Williams mentioned that they are working on a carbon fiber folder with a titanium locking bar...
    It is a bummer as this knife has a lot to offer. Maybe the search for high tech gets in the way of a quality product?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    At this stage of my life, I always have a small SAK for little tasks, so I don’t scare people.
    Name:  IMG_8204.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  20.6 KB

My main knife is always a non-folding one, except for 2 conditions. One is if I am really dressed up, for which I have a nice elegant Benchmade. Otherwise I am in a state where I also can’t carry a firearm. In that situation having a knife I can open quickly and absolutely foolproof open under pressure 100% of the time is the huge priority. After a lot of back and forth I’ve settled on the colonel blades folder, which I’m not sure is available any longer:

Name:  IMG_8201.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  19.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_8202.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  20.1 KB

I don’t love the fact that it has a ring, but this thing opens in a flash 100% of the time, regardless of the style of pants pocket.

The Benchmade 750 was perfect. Basically a small Sebenza. Cost about $120 back in the day.

Name:  BM 750.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  33.9 KB

Sadly out of production for quite some time now and too valuable to carry. I'd buy several if they were to bring it back.

My EDC is a Benchmade 940 these days.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List