Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What You Want in a Folding Knife

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I I have occasionally wished that the blade did have a lock, but not enough to do anything about it.
    Same. Very cool on the issue model!

I'll play because I already spend too much time on this question, and because despite endless trial-and-error, I've never quite found my "just right" folder and maybe someone'll read this and suggest one I wasn't aware of...

I carry a knife for two reasons: general daily chores (which mostly amount to opening and breaking down boxes because my bride has made it unofficial policy to single-handedly keep Amazon and the cardboard industry solvent), and as back-up, last-ditch self-defense.

Ideals:

1) 3.5" to 4" blade, preferred just under 4". More blade is better, while staying within local legal limits for a concealed folder. Blade profile strongly weighted toward penetrating and slicing.

2) Flipper. After much experimentation, I find this best in varied situations.

3) Assisted. See above. Better than auto -- paired with flipper it needs even less fine motor movement.

4) Tip down carry. Amazing how much this one ends up being the disqualifier for otherwise good options. Fewer and fewer new models offer this and for me preferred unto required. I carry a folder appendix, and tip down is brought to bear much more efficiently. Add in a flipper and even more so. More so still when assisted; and with assisted's bias toward closure, no concern of accidentally opening while carried.

5) Ergonomics for comfortable and effective forward and edge-out reverse grip; secure hold with no chance of sliding up to edge (functional guard and pronounced first-finger groove); grabby textured scales and jimping.

Concessions can and have been at times, but these are the ideals based on a lot of experimentation. For the last few years the ZT350 has been the daily because it comes the closest. If it had a little more overall dimension, and a blade profile less rounded and big bellied, it'd be perfect as it meets all other criteria, and at a good price point given the quality.

I'm a click from ordering a Halfbreed Blades MILF, which addresses the 350's shortcomings at the expense of being assisted.

As usual, all of this is solved by a (vastly preferred) fixed blade, but local ordinances and all.

Open to suggestions.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    I'll play because I already spend too much time on this question, and because despite endless trial-and-error, I've never quite found my "just right" folder and maybe someone'll read this and suggest one I wasn't aware of...

I carry a knife for two reasons: general daily chores (which mostly amount to opening and breaking down boxes because my bride has made it unofficial policy to single-handedly keep Amazon and the cardboard industry solvent), and as back-up, last-ditch self-defense.

Ideals:

1) 3.5" to 4" blade, preferred just under 4". More blade is better, while staying within local legal limits for a concealed folder. Blade profile strongly weighted toward penetrating and slicing.

2) Flipper. After much experimentation, I find this best in varied situations.

3) Assisted. See above. Better than auto -- paired with flipper it needs even less fine motor movement.

4) Tip down carry. Amazing how much this one ends up being the disqualifier for otherwise good options. Fewer and fewer new models offer this and for me preferred unto required. I carry a folder appendix, and tip down is brought to bear much more efficiently. Add in a flipper and even more so. More so still when assisted; and with assisted's bias toward closure, no concern of accidentally opening while carried.

5) Ergonomics for comfortable and effective forward and edge-out reverse grip; secure hold with no chance of sliding up to edge (functional guard and pronounced first-finger groove); grabby textured scales and jimping.

Concessions can and have been at times, but these are the ideals based on a lot of experimentation. For the last few years the ZT350 has been the daily because it comes the closest. If it had a little more overall dimension, and a blade profile less rounded and big bellied, it'd be perfect as it meets all other criteria, and at a good price point given the quality.

I'm a click from ordering a Halfbreed Blades MILF, which addresses the 350's shortcomings at the expense of being assisted.

As usual, all of this is solved by a (vastly preferred) fixed blade, but local ordinances and all.

Open to suggestions.
    Not sure how well this meets all you needs but thought I'd but it out there.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-...k-Knife--52093.

Sadly out of stock, but I would be interested in your and the groups critique
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Not sure how well this meets all you needs but thought I'd but it out there.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-...k-Knife--52093.

Sadly out of stock, but I would be interested in your and the groups critique
    Attractive knife. I like the blade shape, and the handle design is a classic for comfortable hold in different grips.

No tip down carry option is an immediate disqualifier for me. I also wonder if the serrrations on the titanium frame might fall short of enough grippiness in varied conditions.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I’ve stuck with Benchmade since buying my first one maybe 15 years ago. I find the Axis lock more secure than anything else I’ve had and use it to open the blade with a little flick of the wrist. My preference is for a non-stainless tool steel, currently cpm m4 is my favorite. Cuts through cardboard and those tough plastic packing straps easily and holds an edge like nothing else. Close second is D2, which is very similar. My daily is an Osborne 940, I like a fairly straight edge but with a nice strong point. I should probably buy another one of these just in case.Name:  IMG_2721.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  43.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have been carrying a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza with a tanto blade for the past two decades. Works just fine for my needs, most of which are opening packages, stripping wire, and various small cutting tasks. Things I like about it include it stays closed until I open it, it locks open very well, it does not rust, it is easy to sharpen, and it is as tight today as it was in 2004.
    What gun and holster?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I’ve stuck with Benchmade since buying my first one maybe 15 years ago. I find the Axis lock more secure than anything else I’ve had and use it to open the blade with a little flick of the wrist. My preference is for a non-stainless tool steel, currently cpm m4 is my favorite. Cuts through cardboard and those tough plastic packing straps easily and holds an edge like nothing else. Close second is D2, which is very similar. My daily is an Osborne 940, I like a fairly straight edge but with a nice strong point. I should probably buy another one of these just in case.Name:  IMG_2721.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  43.5 KB
    Good pick. How much has cost gone up on those since your last purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    In use, the blade is covered. The pic shows the knife part way out of the sheath, and part way through the opening process.
    Do you actually carry this? This post made me go look at sheaths there is one leather maker who puts a strap all the way around the holster for horizontal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Do you actually carry this?
    No.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The 750 was a clip point like the one in the picture.

The 940 is like this:

Attachment 116153

Okie John
    I gave the auto version of that to my BIL for Christmas. He loves it. It has the option of g10 or carbon fiber. The g10 is less $$$. Which handle material did you go with? If thevaluminum how has the finish held up?

User Tag List