Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What You Want in a Folding Knife

I had settled on the CRKT Ken Onion Ripple, and I'm glad to have two as they are currently out of stock.

It's slim (especially compared to the M16s I started with), carries easily, opens quickly, and cuts well enough. It was also fairly inexpensive, which is a bonus for a working knife.

ETA: I do have the stupid wantsies for one of those folding Gerber Applegate/Fairbain Covert knives, and will probably get one down the road Just Because.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 03-11-2024 at 10:33 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I would like to once again espouse the amazing qualities if the Emerson Kershaw CQC6K.

-Wave opening
    -Thumb disk opening
    -Solid Mechanism
    -Can be drawn edge in, or edge out.
    -Comfortable grip shape tip up or down.
    -G10 on one side.
    -Reversible pocket clip.
    -Identical trainer version available for grappling.
    -D2 Steel blade.
    -Relatively cheap.
    -Free replacement parts via Kershaw.
    -Aftermarket parts available.

I carry a D2 steel version daily, an older chineseium steel version when in/near water or salt water, and have a trainer version. I won my first in a give away here on PF in like 2016 or so. I've not carried anything else since, and likely never will.
    Concur.
    I’m hardly a knife SME (the opposite, really).
    But I ordered one from Amazon after @Clusterfrack ‘s recommendation.

I have a Benchmade CQC-7 that I’ve had since 1998. Carried it in my flight suit leg pocket daily for over a decade, and on all my combat missions.
    I love it for practical and sentimental reasons.
    The Emerson Kershaw CQC6K is at least 75% as good as that knife for maybe 25% of the price. I love the disk, and the Emerson Wave opening options. The curved edge is probably more practical than the CQC-7, and the steel seems decent enough.

I bought one to gift to my 18 yr-old son, and may order another as a backup / hard-use knife for myself (ssshhh - don’t tell my wife - I apparently already have more than enough knives).

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The Benchmade 750 was perfect. Basically a small Sebenza. Cost about $120 back in the day.

Attachment 116071

Sadly out of production for quite some time now and too valuable to carry. I'd buy several if they were to bring it back.

My EDC is a Benchmade 940 these days.

Okie John
    I had/have one of those. I suppose I should dig around and find it.

I think it was a “first production run” model.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Some very interesting replies so far.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post...I have determined I don't care much for "assisted opening" knives. I have an old Kershaw Blackout, Leek, Blur and Cryo 2 . Function on the Leek / Blur are the best but the Cryo 2 is very sluggish.

Side Note: I don't buy Benchmade stuff anymore but back in the mid 90's I picked up a Brend Combat Talon at a gun show for around $70-$80 and carried it for quite a few years. Later on I picked up a Benchmade Ascent at the BX and used it for another few years. Both are now retired...like me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I bought this Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in 2019 and have carried it ever since.

https://a.co/d/ipNHlZl

My criteria would be lightweight, compact, sharp, thin, easy to cut with, and it does all these.
    I have one. Had to buy 3 to get to keep one, though - wife and daughter both thought they were super cute, so … I got #3. Rides in my cycling gear.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Attachment 116055

A blade.
    A screwdriver that fits holster screws.
    A caplifter.

I've carried the same SAK for 10+ years. If I could have a knife like a trapper, with a lockback main blade then a second blade on the same side that was a flathead/cap lifter combo, that would be ideal.

I love traditional folders but have too much utility from the screwdriver and cap lifter.

I'd also love a WW2 US Paratrooper auto haha.

I was obsessed with "tactical" folders as a young teenager, but once I started carrying a gun and later also started carrying POM OC spray, I was running out of room and the "tactical folder" was a lot less important to me.
    This is a little bit of a debate for some, but - SAKs *are* traditional folders.

Carry on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    This is a little bit of a debate for some, but - SAKs *are* traditional folders.

Carry on.
    Guess I should have said "even more traditional" haha

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Guess I should have said "even more traditional" haha
    Victorinox - founded in 1884, first batch of Soldier’s Knives delivered in 1891.

I guess there are older patterns. At this point, though, they’re all pretty old.

This thread had me thinking about buying something new until I realized that I should work through the pile of great knives that I already have.

That should only take another 50-60 years.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I do have the stupid wantsies for one of those folding Gerber Applegate/Fairbain Covert knives, and will probably get one down the road Just Because.
    I am pretty sure they are discontinued. @RevolverRob hooked me up with one of the originals and it is an awesome knife.

User Tag List